• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero hours contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its not exclusivity. The problem is that you need the 0 hour contract to get work that day. And if when they phone you aren't available they don't ring the next day.
    dont generalise. The missus utilises bank nurses on a regular basis.

They do not get blown out for not being available. They get blown out for being Sh!te or other reasons
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      dont generalise. The missus utilises bank nurses on a regular basis.

They do not get blown out for not being available. They get blown out for being Sh!te or other reasons
      But that is because the nurses have other places (homes, hospitals) to go to. If you have a zero hour contract in a shop you don't have that option..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        But that is because the nurses have other places (homes, hospitals) to go to. If you have a zero hour contract in a shop you don't have that option..
        you dont know that. stop now eek
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

you dont know that. stop now eek
          Why? I can easily introduce you to a fair few 23-5 year olds who left uni to end up with this type of work. And don't let me get started on the home care industry (I can introduce you to about 20 women doing with that sort of contract aged 30-50). Yes the latter do move agencies once in a while but the contract never really changes you just fall out with agency 1 and find another one.

Just because your wife (ab)uses a similar type of contract in one industry doesn't mean they aren't abused in different ways in other industries.
          Last edited by eek; 5 August 2013, 21:25.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It seems to me that exclusivity is the main problem here. I wonder if a low paid unskilled worker has ever been 'done' in a legal sense for picking another farmers potato weeds (or the equivilent)

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

It seems to me that exclusivity is the main problem here. I wonder if a low paid unskilled worker has ever been 'done' in a legal sense for picking another farmers potato weeds (or the equivilent)

I made the point about the exclusivity being the main issue some way back on this thread - you won't get "done" for not being exclusive, but you might get fired or never offered any more hours if you can't go in for a couple of hours because you are working elsewhere.

As to Kent Philip and others who don't see what the problem is - if you are on jobseekers, the wonks at JobCentreHasslePlus can force you to take a job in which you get paid less than dole cos it's zero hours, less than min wage cos it can actually be zero a week on pain of having your jobseekers cut so there isn't really any choice if you are really up against it.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Let me explain it to you how I see it.

If the government delivered public services efficiently there would be a well educated population, low crime no welfare industry and a healthier society. If they then got their house building sorted out there would be no need to tax people and the cost of living would fall. People would then not need tax credits and there would be more jobs because Britain would be:

1. A great place to live
                2. A place that would attract foreign and domestic investment

By the way how is your fracking going?
                I do agree <note time and date> that education is the key and that the lack of affordable housing has been a problem since the right to buy homes weren't replaced.

For the record, I do think a lot of people in this country from top to bottom don't manage their careers properly and drag out jobs that they should of ditched years ago for something new. Problem is, lower earners tend to have less choice in new roles.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  I do agree <note time and date> that education is the key and that the lack of affordable housing has been a problem since the right to buy homes weren't replaced.

For the record, I do think a lot of people in this country from top to bottom don't manage their careers properly and drag out jobs that they should of ditched years ago for something new. Problem is, lower earners tend to have less choice in new roles.
                  yep shock horror some people are 'below average' or unlucky, these people don't get the high flying jobs they end up with low paying sh*t jobs that they are glad to have and are abused by immoral organisations.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    yep shock horror some people are 'below average' or unlucky, these people don't get the high flying jobs they end up with low paying sh*t jobs that they are glad to have and are abused by immoral organisations.
                    So your point is what exactly? It's Ok for immoral organisations to abuse thick/unlucky people because, er ...they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      So your point is what exactly? It's Ok for immoral organisations to abuse thick/unlucky people because, er ...they do?
                      It's a choice. The benefit of a flexible labour market is that thick / unlucky people can choose which immoral organisation they'd like to be abused by. Those people who refuse to be abused are simply making a bad choice because of their sense of entitlement.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X