• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I have a brown box in the kitchen for food waste, which then goes into the big brown bin along with garden waste. Plus a green bin for general stuff, and a big blue box for paper - and I think plastic bottles, but I don't tend to have many of them.

I don't have a problem with it up to a point. The thing that annoys me is at least 90% of the paper I'm throwing away every fortnight is either junk mail,or other stuff that I could do without or could be emailed.
    I have a fix for that. I save up all the flyers, pick a lucky one at random and then shove everything through their letterbox
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
      Everything went into a black bin until recently (as they only collected metal, glass & newpsapers).

Now we also have a green bin. Evrything that used to go into the black bin now goes in the green bin. The black bin is now for plastics and card.

Plastics confuse me though. I generally look for the recycleable logo that is embossed somewhere on the plastic container / package. If it's there, into the bin it goes. It appears that not all recycleable plastics are recycled by our local authority though. Only certain ones & recently the collection have started getting shirty about the wrong kinds of recycleable plastics in the green bin.

It's all becoming a real faff.
      I work on the premise that if it remotely resembles plastic, it goes in the plastics sack. All paper and cardboard, food contaminated or not goes into the paper and carboard sack. If they are only going to collect my general rubbish every two weeks, then I will put as much as possible into the weekly recycling collection and then they can sort it at their end.

Yes, I am a bad man.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
        Well, if you don't wash the containers and they are left in an open bin (as is the case here) they will attract wermin.
        That's not a very nice word for civil servants.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

In our household, anything sort-able goes into recycling (rinsed first, if it's likely to to get smelly between chucking out and collection) and the sloppy stuff goes into landfill.

It's a special arrangement we have with our council. We pretend to sort, and they pretend to recycle

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
            Yes, I am a bad man.
            They clean and process everything thoroughly so I think that's the right way to do it. Pizza boxes, grease & all, go in our paper/card bin.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              They clean and process everything thoroughly so I think that's the right way to do it. Pizza boxes, grease & all, go in our paper/card bin.
              Up here, they specifically exclude any food contaminated cardboard like that. Me, I don't want it hanging around for another week so they get to sort it out for me.

Comment

We pay ~£1.50 for each 35l bin bag full, so it makes financial sense to recycle glass, PET, paper etc. The nearest recycling spots for most residents is within walking distance, though we have kerbside pick up for paper and cardboard.

Despite now having a grown up family (3 kids still living at home), our weekly rubbish is about one quarter what it was in the UK.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Next door has a high-temperature compost bin, that takes a good proportion of our non-recyclables as well as grass clippings

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Next door has a high-temperature compost bin, that takes a good proportion of our non-recyclables as well as grass clippings
                    Ooh! What does one of those look like?

I presume it composts in double quick time, then?

Comment

Just a polystyrene box really to keep the heat in.

Comment

Working...
                      X