• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Recycling

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recycling"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Food waste goes into the lockable green bin which is picked up once a week and turned into compost on a local farm. The farm uses the compost on the veggy fields and the local supermarkets sell the produce. As residents of the county we can also get as much compost as we like from the process (Free!!)
    Neat - which county is this?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Anyone use and can share a recommendation for a wall mounted can crusher? or does the Butler take care of all of that?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    + 1. We were on holiday so missed black bin day. It's bin eve today (NB urbandictionary bureaucrats, 'Bin eve' is very much in modern parlance, so it's your loss), so we have 3 weeks and 6 days of nappies in there during a hot spell.
    Try wearing underpants like other men.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Recycling goes into one clear bag which gets collected once a week - ours invariably contains an awful lot of glass bottles.

Food waste goes into the lockable green bin which is picked up once a week and turned into compost on a local farm. The farm uses the compost on the veggy fields and the local supermarkets sell the produce. As residents of the county we can also get as much compost as we like from the process (Free!!)

One black bin liner goes out once a fortnight.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Some councils allow you a certain number of extra pick-ups if you request them.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Our bins are humming at the moment, hot nappies.
    + 1. We were on holiday so missed black bin day. It's bin eve today (NB urbandictionary bureaucrats, 'Bin eve' is very much in modern parlance, so it's your loss), so we have 3 weeks and 6 days of nappies in there during a hot spell.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just a polystyrene box really to keep the heat in.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Next door has a high-temperature compost bin, that takes a good proportion of our non-recyclables as well as grass clippings
    Ooh! What does one of those look like?

I presume it composts in double quick time, then?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Next door has a high-temperature compost bin, that takes a good proportion of our non-recyclables as well as grass clippings

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    We pay ~£1.50 for each 35l bin bag full, so it makes financial sense to recycle glass, PET, paper etc. The nearest recycling spots for most residents is within walking distance, though we have kerbside pick up for paper and cardboard.

Despite now having a grown up family (3 kids still living at home), our weekly rubbish is about one quarter what it was in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They clean and process everything thoroughly so I think that's the right way to do it. Pizza boxes, grease & all, go in our paper/card bin.
    Up here, they specifically exclude any food contaminated cardboard like that. Me, I don't want it hanging around for another week so they get to sort it out for me.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    Yes, I am a bad man.
    They clean and process everything thoroughly so I think that's the right way to do it. Pizza boxes, grease & all, go in our paper/card bin.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    In our household, anything sort-able goes into recycling (rinsed first, if it's likely to to get smelly between chucking out and collection) and the sloppy stuff goes into landfill.

It's a special arrangement we have with our council. We pretend to sort, and they pretend to recycle

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Well, if you don't wash the containers and they are left in an open bin (as is the case here) they will attract wermin.
    That's not a very nice word for civil servants.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Everything went into a black bin until recently (as they only collected metal, glass & newpsapers).

Now we also have a green bin. Evrything that used to go into the black bin now goes in the green bin. The black bin is now for plastics and card.

Plastics confuse me though. I generally look for the recycleable logo that is embossed somewhere on the plastic container / package. If it's there, into the bin it goes. It appears that not all recycleable plastics are recycled by our local authority though. Only certain ones & recently the collection have started getting shirty about the wrong kinds of recycleable plastics in the green bin.

It's all becoming a real faff.
    I work on the premise that if it remotely resembles plastic, it goes in the plastics sack. All paper and cardboard, food contaminated or not goes into the paper and carboard sack. If they are only going to collect my general rubbish every two weeks, then I will put as much as possible into the weekly recycling collection and then they can sort it at their end.

Yes, I am a bad man.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X