• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What about a Skoda Octavia VRS? : reliable, practical, fast, loads of cheap used ones as new model has just come out.
    Excellent choice, if I may say. You can also remap them for nothing, and they show tremendous improvement on the torque curve, especially in the mid range. Addictive turbo whine as well, though not as great as the demonic supercharger whine on a supercharged V8. The only problem is that they are FWD, which means they slide all over the roundabouts in snow. Hence the next choice. A Mazda 6 MPS. 4WD, 2.3T, 260 bhp, 280 lb-ft, with 6 gears.
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
      The only problem is that they are FWD, which means they slide all over the roundabouts in snow.
      Just put some winter tyres on the front wheels and Shirley you'll be sorted?

Comment

Excellent choice, if I may say. You can also remap them for nothing, and they show tremendous improvement on the torque curve, especially in the mid range. Addictive turbo whine as well, though not as great as the demonic supercharger whine on a supercharged V8. The only problem is that they are FWD, which means they slide all over the roundabouts in snow. Hence the next choice. A Mazda 6 MPS. 4WD, 2.3T, 260 bhp, 280 lb-ft, with 6 gears.
        Not as much as a 'premium' RWD German car.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          Just put some winter tyres on the front wheels and Shirley you'll be sorted?
          I can't be bothered swapping tyres. Would rather have a 4WD or a RWD. On second thoughts..

I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Not as much as a 'premium' RWD German car.
            That's why mine is 4wd.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

They're quite rare.

They look very chavvy. I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I'm sure there's a feedback loop in that causal link.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I can't be bothered swapping tyres. Would rather have a 4WD or a RWD. On second thoughts..

But RWD is useless in snow and ice and 4WD is unnecessary 99% of the time, why the hate for FWD? I can honestly say I haven't noticed torque steer or under-steer since modern cars have been fitted with all the electronic stability gubbins. Maybe I just don't drive as 'enthusiastically' as I once did?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    They're quite rare.

Lol, I will be selling mine soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      But RWD is useless in snow and ice and 4WD is unnecessary 99% of the time, why the hate for FWD? I can honestly say I haven't noticed torque steer or under-steer since modern cars have been fitted with all the electronic stability gubbins. Maybe I just don't drive as 'enthusiastically' as I once did?
                      99% of the time, a 4WD is not in full 4WD.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X