• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexism - in action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Precisely - he calls all women 'sweets'.

As for whether he's gay or not - that's irrelevant. His discussions about hair etc are only a tactic to divert my attention away from the difficult questions I'm asking him.

He's just a twat.
    So every time he tries to change the subject go back to the previous one. If you keep bugging him about his (lack of) work he will eventually avoid you totally.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      So every time he tries to change the subject go back to the previous one. If you keep bugging him about his (lack of) work he will eventually avoid you totally.
      This has been my tactic so far. The other women either attempt to admonish him for his childish behaviour, or joke along with him [i.e. the ones desperate for attention from anyone, even a 5"4 nobgoblin].

I've so far gone with the same tack I use with my four year old - ignoring him when he's naughty and resuming the conversation when I feel he's back with it.

Sadly I will need to work with him until I leave. Ugh.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Some nice ideas here.

How to Deal with Sexist Coworkers

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Some nice ideas here.

How to Deal with Sexist Coworkers
          I like that.

Eh up - SueEllen posts here too!

I agree. I have to DEAL with this alot at work and in the subway. So many MEN look at me as a sexuel object, and OBJECTIFY me b/c I am so pretty and smart.
          If I were not smart and a JD, they would NOT care, but b/c I have a law degree and am a WOMAN and am smart, and am pretty, they ALL think they can objectify me.
          The manageing partner at LEAST keeps his hands to himself, and that is a GOOD thing, b/c he is MARRIED.
          But the others, in my building and at the healthclub and on the subway, like to say and do strange things, and it is ONLY b/c of who I am.
          I say FOOEY on those people. FOOEY!
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I like that.

I agree. I have to DEAL with this alot at work and in the subway. So many MEN look at me as a sexuel object, and OBJECTIFY me b/c I am so pretty and smart.
            If I were not smart and a JD, they would NOT care, but b/c I have a law degree and am a WOMAN and am smart, and am pretty, they ALL think they can objectify me.
            The manageing partner at LEAST keeps his hands to himself, and that is a GOOD thing, b/c he is MARRIED.
            But the others, in my building and at the healthclub and on the subway, like to say and do strange things, and it is ONLY b/c of who I am.
            If that is the standard of literacy of a law graduate they must be worse off than us
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My wife is a purdy young thing with biggish boobs (not my thing unfortunately) and she constantly has to deal with men staring at them. She used to use it to her advantage when working, as she felt she could get anything she wanted done, as most managers would be too busy simply staring at her tits to have spent much time noticing what she was asking for. Funny thing is, she said, the ones who tried to avoid them were the funniest, as they wanted to look, knew it was wrong, but kept doing it. She's told me as a young lass she used to love the attention they'd bring.

Now she simply tells people to stop doing it as soon as she notices it.

It's strange, as I respect my wife a lot, and know she's a clever cookie. But she'll openly admit to using her body as a way to gain an advantage, and I've told her, that this is, imo, where women get themselves in trouble. Sometimes, I think she thinks she's being empowered, but is actually setting back the clock for women.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                My wife is a purdy young thing with biggish boobs (not my thing unfortunately) and she constantly has to deal with men staring at them. She used to use it to her advantage when working, as she felt she could get anything she wanted done, as most managers would be too busy simply staring at her tits to have spent much time noticing what she was asking for. Funny thing is, she said, the ones who tried to avoid them were the funniest, as they wanted to look, knew it was wrong, but kept doing it. She's told me as a young lass she used to love the attention they'd bring.

Now she simply tells people to stop doing it as soon as she notices it.

It's strange, as I respect my wife a lot, and know she's a clever cookie. But she'll openly admit to using her body as a way to gain an advantage, and I've told her, that this is, imo, where women get themselves in trouble. Sometimes, I think she thinks she's being empowered, but is actually setting back the clock for women.
                I've got big boobs and don't think everyone's obessesed with trying to look at them, or that they impact on my working life.

No idea how 'using your body' to get on, works in the real world, but it sounds fkcng stupid to me.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I've got big boobs and don't think everyone's obessesed with trying to look at them, or that they impact on my working life.

No idea how 'using your body' to get on, works in the real world, but it sounds fkcng stupid to me.
                  Must resist the urge to ask you to prove it
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Oh please MP.

Comment

I like that.

I think SueEllen comes across as rather smarter than that.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X