• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is how the battle of ideas is won. with a whimper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hansen did. I dont remember you objecting back then.

5 meters by the end of the century - james Hansen
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hansen described his projection as an outlier, and highly non-linear, most of the rise occurring long after 25 years.

However, the fundamental issue is linearity versus non-linearity. Hansen (2005, 2007) argues that amplifying feedbacks make ice sheet disintegration necessarily highly non-linear. In a non-linear problem, the most relevant number for projecting sea level rise is the doubling time for the rate of mass loss. Hansen (2007) suggested that a 10-year doubling time was plausible, pointing out that such a doubling time from a base of 1 mm per year ice sheet contribution to sea level in the decade 2005-2015 would lead to a cumulative 5 m sea level rise by 2095.
      I think the straw man photo shows a rise of more than c60mm ....
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

mind you. Hansen has backtracked as well.

He now reckons that armageddon will occur much later, due to 'climate inertia'

This is how the battle of ideas will be won, a little backtrack here, a little 'i was misquoted' there
        a little obfuscation over yonder
        till we will be left standing, wondering what all the fuss was ever about
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          mind you. Hansen has backtracked as well.

He now reckons that armageddon will occur much later, due to 'climate inertia'

This is how the battle of ideas will be won, a little backtrack here, a little 'i was misquoted' there
          a little obfuscation over yonder
          till we will be left standing, wondering what all the fuss was ever about
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2vXCg0h0c

Comment

Climate change is the new religion with PJ Calrke your modern day preacher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66B5ybiK12Q
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              Hansen described his projection as an outlier, and highly non-linear, most of the rise occurring long after 25 years.

I think the straw man photo shows a rise of more than c60mm ....
              Indeed. All you have to do is make a wide range of speculations predictions which simultaneously suggest something massive will happen which needs a lot of funding, while covering your arse in case it doesn't.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Who would have thought a bunch of floppy haired kids would grow up to take a leading role in the climate change debate.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 May 2013, 17:14.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Climate Change: Evidence

And apparently the moon-landings were faked as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      Climate Change: Evidence

And apparently the moon-landings were faked as well.
                      No just the evidence for climate change.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X