• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday Euler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm fairly sure early cultures didn't just have 1,2, many. How would you know a fair dowry for your daughter, or how many cabbages a chicken was worth?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
      ...Well, scientist agree that there are more then 3, some go all the way to 11. Mathematics can however describe umpteen million dimensions. It is an abstraction. ...
      Physicists often use many more dimensions than this - e.g. when considering phase space.Hilbert spaces are (countably) infinite dimensional, and they're used in physics as well.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Physicists often use many more dimensions than this - e.g. when considering phase space.Hilbert spaces are (countably) infinite dimensional, and they're used in physics as well.
        It is still a model, albeit helpful in science, engineering, etc. We do not know how many dimensions are in real world. Think of it, I am starting to be puzzled, what is real world...
        My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

There is no real world. It's all an AndyW illusion.

Comment

Physicists don't agree there are more than 3 physical dimensions. They (mostly) agree that the maths to explain observed behaviour seem to require extra dimensions. They are concerned with what makes things add up, not what actually IS (and many say the latter isn't really important).
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Physicists don't agree there are more than 3 physical dimensions. They (mostly) agree that the maths to explain observed behaviour seem to require extra dimensions. They are concerned with what makes things add up, not what actually IS (and many say the latter isn't really important).
              A decade or more and we will live mostly in a virtual reality, holodeck etc...
              My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                There is a school of thought among physicists that the equations are the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  There is a school of thought among physicists that the equations are the reality.
                  Many physicists have a formalism fetish. But that's taking it to ridiculous extremes.

In principle, equations are only a codified and abbreviated form of prose or conversation.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X