• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK fodder - History not Muslim enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Afghanistan & Iraq seem to have been in the news recently.

But why should we only be teaching history since 1600 when most of it was before that?
    There is a case for recognising Islamic contributions between the Islamic Golden age -750- 1300 but only if you then acknowledge that since then there has been really fook all and Islam suffered by comparison with Europe (and therefore Christian nations) post Renaissance
    No doubt the curriculum and BBC would like to argue that England achieved world power status by some tenuous links to that golden age but the reality is that muslims in the UK only came about in numbers by the mill owners in Bradford looking for cheap labour and is really a very modern development
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      There is a case for recognising Islamic contributions between the Islamic Golden age -750- 1300 but only if you then acknowledge that since then there has been really fook all and Islam suffered by comparison with Europe (and therefore Christian nations) post Renaissance
      No doubt the curriculum and BBC would like to argue that England achieved world power status by some tenuous links to that golden age but the reality is that muslims in the UK only came about in numbers by the mill owners in Bradford looking for cheap labour and is really a very modern development
      I think it is easier to say that Muslims rather than Islam made that contribution. Likewise when "Islamic Golden Age" stopped it was the Muslims who were the cause for this. Islam is a religion at the end of the day and it is the human who can use it for the betterment or to the detriment of mankind....

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        Hmmmmm... What about christian scholars since 1700, or atheist scholars since 1700, or perhaps gay scholars since 1700, or unwed female scholars, or perhaps mixed religion offsprings scholars...

Why don't we just accept people instead of always grouping them by religion, color, creed, sexual preference....

Nobel price winers come from all kinds of nationalities, religion, corner of the world...
        My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
          Nobel price winers come from all kinds of nationalities, religion, corner of the world...
          Considering a Nobel peace price is laughable, for someone so closely intertwined with the weapons industry

Why not have a Kalashnikov peace price ?
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Hmmmmm... What about christian scholars since 1700, or atheist scholars since 1700, or perhaps gay scholars since 1700, or unwed female scholars, or perhaps mixed religion offsprings scholars...

Why don't we just accept people instead of always grouping them by religion, color, creed, sexual preference....

Well, as the question was specifically about "the muslim contribution to world history since 1600", I thought I'd found a pretty good list.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Simply because the world is not as simple as you like.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                Considering a Nobel peace price is laughable, for someone so closely intertwined with the weapons industry

Why not have a Kalashnikov peace price ?
                that was the whole point Alfred Nobel wanted to make safe explosives for mining, when he realised how it was being used for war and his legacy was going to be a death monger he created the prize.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                  Well, as the question was specifically about "the muslim contribution to world history since 1600", I thought I'd found a pretty good list.
                  sorry, no blame on you... you did a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Simply because the world is not as simple as you like.
                    It is not about simplicity vs. sophistication, it is about "labeling/differentiating groups of people in the name of eliminating discrimination or preconceived notions". This is a paradox to me.

Comment

Given the number of foreign kids in our schools, if there was 10 minutes of history for each background there would never be time to teach anything else. Forgetting all this vague "understanding our roots" stuff the only practical use of history is to create an enjoyable interest for adult life and as we only have British castles, stately homes etc. British history is the only relevant one for that.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X