• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you live on £7.50 a day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I (honestly) don't know why home distillation has not taken off in this country.
    For people living in flats and semis, the process reeks too strongly and takes up too much room, although there are plenty of farmhouses and suchlike where people could make hooch if they wanted and possibly do.

Also, the product typically tastes like paint stripper and can be horribly toxic if impurities creep in. So with that and the cost of energy to boil the liquid, and its flammability, most people would rather buy commercial spirits especially as the gut rot end of the spirit market is fairly cheap.

The Ruskies seem to be quite keen on knocking up some bottles of 'tramp killer' in their spare time although it does kill about 15,000 of them each year.
    I thought that was their unfortunate habit of passing out in the snow when it's -40 outside. Thousands of them are found each spring, solid as a brick like Otzi the Iceman, when the snow melts.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

In answer to the OP, yes. For a short while. Until I needed a new pair of shoes.

Comment

One day into accepting the challenge, IDS is struggling to make ends meet.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Pay for internet access or try to find an open library with internet access, because you'll need to apply for Universal credit online
          It looks like you'll need a credit card for rail travel too.

Phone payment system spells end of the line for train tickets

Under plans to be published by the Department for Transport (DfT) later this year, rail firms will be expected to introduce new forms of "ticketless travel" across their networks.

These will allow commuters and long-distance travellers to pay for a ticket online and then use their credit card to open platform barriers. In the longer term, customers will also be able to use their phones in a similar way, replacing the need for season tickets and Oyster cards.
          I’d happily live on £1581 a week, Iain Duncan Smith
          Last edited by Sysman; 3 April 2013, 15:13.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            Would it be out of order to point out that in Victorian times they stuck the poor into workhouses. While this was not exactly nice accommodation it gave them the basics, and by putting everyone together allowed them to benefit from economies of scale in the provision of the accommodation itself, food, and heating, saving enormous amounts of money.
            I saw a documentary on them a couple of years ago and they were only one step up from prison. Families were deliberately split up and once in there you had little chance of escaping.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

I'm not sure if we've done this already, but how can the buggers claim expenses? They expect to be 'working' in their current location for more than two years.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I don't see why he should have to prove himself. He got a good education and has worked hard so he doesn't have to live on £7.50 a day.

Welfare shouldn't be trated like a salary, it should be treated like a crutch to support people until they can look after themselves.

Comment

no my fags cost £7 a day

Comment

Now let's see, can anyone recommend a decent red for 7.49 a bottle?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      I saw a documentary on them a couple of years ago and they were only one step up from prison. Families were deliberately split up and once in there you had little chance of escaping.
                      Well, okay - I think it is a good idea, assuming the conditions are no worse than any other job.

Unless you are ill, too old, too young or looking after someone then you should either work, do national sevice (not necessarily the armed forces but something) or be in full time education and achiving passing grades.

If none of these apply then you will have work provided for you in order to receive benefits. Either in a workhouse or somewhere else - even if it is painting railings dark grey before the next person paints them light grey.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X