• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am an atheist.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    put it this way - if you said you believe in father christmas and the tooth fairy everyone would think you are nuts...

so believeing in another fictional character will probably have the same result

It's pretty hard to miss Father Christmas... he even stars in Coca Cola adverts. Or are you going to tell me that's just CGI?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    This should keep Christians shaking their heads and atheists nodding in agreement:

It is easy to prove to yourself that God is imaginary. The evidence is all around you. Here are 50 simple proofs:
    God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
    Is this a site set up by religious to discredit atheism? They take the decision there is no God and then just make statements "prayers don't get answered" "prayers don't respond to scientific investigation".

I could do a better job than that!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

May I be allowed to lower the tone? This is General, after all

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ued-guilt.html

Comment

Surely it is easy to render an all powerful god logically flawed.

Can he cook a curry too hot for himself to eat?

Yes (for whatever reason) - then he is not all powerful
        No (for whatever reason) - then he is not all poweful
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It's pretty hard to miss Father Christmas... he even stars in Coca Cola adverts. Or are you going to tell me that's just CGI?
          do you really want me to shatter your illusions?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Those are not proofs. They are ways of interpreting evidence. They're also so full of untrue statements about Christian belief and practice, that they simply reveal the ignorance of the author. They're on a par with "Atheists think their grandparents were monkeys". They're not serious atheology - more the kind of things an A-level sociology student might come up with.

Here is a much better reason not to believe in God as presented by Christianity. It goes like this: Christianity says 1) God is omnipotent and 2) God is perfectly good. However, we know that there is (random, unjust, cruel, horrendous) evil in the world.

These three statements are inherently contradictory, since if an omnipotent God who is perfectly good existed, he would work to remove such evil from the world. Or he would have created the universe so evil did not exist.

Therefore logically God (omnipotent and perfectly good) does not exist, and therefore it is irrational to believe that he does.

Obviously, I don't think the conclusion is a logical inevitability, but on the face of it, it's hard to refute. Later in the year, under exam conditions, I'm going to have construct a 1000 word refutation in 45 minutes.
            Good and Evil and subjective so you can always argue your way out.

Take 'Thy shall not kill'

Well in the OT god kills on many occasions those whose behavior is not correct, therefore it can be extrapolated to that it is ok to kill those whose transgress god's law and further, any that aren't on your side as you are on god's side and doing god's work. Get the drift?
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Is this a site set up by religious to discredit atheism? They take the decision there is no God and then just make statements "prayers don't get answered" "prayers don't respond to scientific investigation".

I could do a better job than that!
              Proof 1 in short:
              Jesus promises that prayers get answered. They clearly don't (e.g. cure for cancer). Therefore God does not exist.

There's more to it than just statements, the arguments (not my abbreviated version above) seem reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Surely it is easy to render an all powerful god logically flawed.

Can he cook a curry too hot for himself to eat?

Yes (for whatever reason) - then he is not all powerful
                No (for whatever reason) - then he is not all poweful
                I suggest that you submit that to the "proofs" website ;-)

Comment

Proof 1 in short:
                  Jesus promises that prayers get answered. They clearly don't (e.g. cure for cancer). Therefore God does not exist.
                  There you are then... because not every prayer is answered on demand, we state "prayers clearly don't get answered". Terribly weak arguments based on spurious statements. I did look briefly and it seemed weak. But the titles themselves are bad.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Proof 1 in short:

There's more to it than just statements, the arguments (not my abbreviated version above) seem reasonable.
                    All prayers are answered, where does it say that you'll always get the answer you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      All prayers are answered, where does it say that you'll always get the answer you are looking for?
                      All prayers are answered?

Then why has God never healed an amputee? Has no one ever prayed for one or has the answer always been 'no'?

Have you ever prayed and gained information that you did not already know?

Obviously, you cannot pray to anything and find out the number I am thinking of (I am thinking of one just in case you try) - what would your excuse be?
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X