• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big Data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Does that mean then that someone who has built a chicken hut could easily turn his hand to building a sky scraper?
    No but they shouldn't struggle with a steel and glass chicken hut. Or a greenhouse.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
      I disagree, i think part of the requirement of Big Data is to store the data in such a way it can be extracted for any purpose not just for 1 application
      Big Data is a subset of BI
      BI is everything except OLTP

HTH

Now where's my Agile Big Data on the Cloud SOA SaaS book?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        It's not storing the stuf that's the problem, it's doing something useful with it, like modelling.
        In the cases of the really big data sets - Google & Facebook obviously - just keeping your DB consistent across the globe is a pain. But there really can't be a large number of people on that scale.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
          I disagree, i think part of the requirement of Big Data is to store the data in such a way it can be extracted for any purpose not just for 1 application
          You may be right there.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            It's not storing the stuf that's the problem, it's doing something useful with it, like modelling.
            Sorry. When I said 'handle it' I meant not just store but also facilitate use of it too. I should have been more precise. No wonder I can't get a contract

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Getting seriously peed off by the term Big Data appearing in role requirements.

For those of you in HR / Agency - Big Data is a marketing term. There is no difference to what you can do with data now.

For those responsible for data security / safety / accuracy - Big Data also equals 'uncontrolled'. The sort of thing most companies have been battling against for years.

FFS
              True to some extent; but genuinely Big Data i.e. a database with tens of millions of records does need extra skills and experience.

For example a SELECT that works in a flash on a small to medium sized database might take forever on a huge one, or worse still lock the whole thing for ages, if it isn't carefully crafted and tested based on the existing keys.

Also, you might need extra infrastructure such as separate read and write servers, and a more elaborate backup strategy.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                But once you've built a chicken, the dinosaur is much easier.
                Other way round on this planet

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Other way round on this planet
                  Hmm - The earliest dinosaurs were probably about the size of chickens and must have run around much like them

(Catching a chicken in an open space is well nigh impossible, they're so fast and agile, and I should know as I spent the best part of an hour trying once while cycling through France! )
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Hmm - The earliest dinosaurs were probably about the size of chickens and must have run around much like them

(Catching a chicken in an open space is well nigh impossible, they're so fast and agile, and I should know as I spent the best part of an hour trying once while cycling through France! )
                    I know I'm going to regret this but why?
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

It's much easier if you get off the bike.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X