• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone here been investigated for IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Worries me, I don't want the hassle and the measures we have in place are largely untested and when it happens it appears to be pretty stressful. I don't worry to the extent I can't sleep, just one of those things hanging over you that is a constant battle. Maybe worry is the wrong word. Should you stay vigilant is a better question I guess.
    So what sort of insurance have you got in place NLUK?

I pay for PCG plus but, of course, that only pays for legal rep not the fines. I have toyed with the idea of QDOS but it doesnt fit well with PCG coverage which I prefer.

(if you want QDOS to pay out you've got to contact them straight off when you get notified - fair enough).

But if it worried me that much, I'd go for QDOS because, apart from the hassle, you aren't worried even if you lose cos QDOS will stump up.

I did hear though that QDOS had NEVER had to pay out by losing someones IR35 case. Not sure if this is true.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I pay for PCG plus but, of course, that only pays for legal rep not the fines. I have toyed with the idea of QDOS but it doesnt fit well with PCG coverage which I prefer.

(if you want QDOS to pay out you've got to contact them straight off when you get notified - fair enough).

But if it worried me that much, I'd go for QDOS because, apart from the hassle, you aren't worried even if you lose cos QDOS will stump up.

I did hear though that QDOS had NEVER had to pay out by losing someones IR35 case. Not sure if this is true.
      QDOS haven't. Neither have Abbey Tax who do a similar deal for PCG members. The trick is that with good representation from the start and sensible working practices, the question won't arise.

And nobody's ever been charged penalties, worst case is a claim for the unpaid tax and interest
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The poll results look like a penis.

Comment

Am well aware of the overlap and that I can't claim from both and happy to take the stick for it but I have the QDOS and PCG one. A waste of money? A few hundred quid? I don't think so. Makes me feel more comfortable (although as I say arguable due to the reasons mentioned above) so money well spent for me.

Any insurance is a gamble nowadays, particularly when there is little evidence of results, so if I can attempt to protect my home and lifestyle for that amount of money I am in.

Stupid? maybe. Care? not.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
            The poll results look like a penis.
            You need to go to a doctor. That's not a colour scheme you want to see down there.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Am well aware of the overlap and that I can't claim from both and happy to take the stick for it but I have the QDOS and PCG one. A waste of money? A few hundred quid? I don't think so. Makes me feel more comfortable (although as I say arguable due to the reasons mentioned above) so money well spent for me.

Any insurance is a gamble nowadays, particularly when there is little evidence of results, so if I can attempt to protect my home and lifestyle for that amount of money I am in.

Stupid? maybe. Care? not.
              I looked into this too. Trouble is if you get investigated you've got to go to QDOS in the first instance. Fair enough because they need to deal with from the start if you expect them to pay out if you lose.

So you cant go with PCG first and then expect QDOS to shell out if you lose.

Which sort of makes PCG coverage a bit pointless for this anyway. Yes, I know theres all the other stuff which malvolio will surely mention.

I looked into Abbey Tax too but thats a bit different. Whereas with QDOS its a case of pay you.re covered while you still pay, Abbey is per contract, and you've got to pay for proper contract review up front, reviews for extensions etc Bit more complicated and works out more expensive than QDOS.

Of course, with QDOS if you stop contracting you still need to pay after you finished until you're sure HMRC arent going to chase you any longer. Not so with abbey.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Same here with me. Got a couple here who just say they'll close company down if they get investigated. Nice one.
                Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Pretty sure you can't dodge it that way as it's a personal liability
                Exactly...
                I'm pretty sure that although IR35 is judged on the individual, the tax liability is on the company.

While this might lead some to the notion of a loophole, what they forget is that company closure requires sign off from HMRC.

Comment

Working...
                X