• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Truths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It's just that in this instance some idiot has decided that the most practical way to get some data from some system to some other system is by creating lots of spreadsheets and loading them into the sort of system I work on.
    Snap! Pays the bills though.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      They could try what one of my previous clients did: namely leave the pipe to dev null in the middle of the load section...

Apparently the bob in question only wanted the E and T sections to work to save time

It just a shame that the client didn't catch this in the code and executed it on live then spent 5 days waiting for the load to actually load...
      Lloyds tsb payment processing system?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Lloyds tsb payment processing system?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          that's one problem. In terms of data migration, it's surprising how it's always tacked on the end of a project whereas it should start ahead of development.
          Tell me about it. As a developer, it's so nice to have some data to work with. I've worked on systems where the development box has no data, and we weren't allowed to create any.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've been on more of them than I should (one in current contract).

Although I do enjoy the looks I get when I ask to speak to the Data Architect.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

There's not much to it really and it's been a staple source of contracting income for me over the years. Infact Extract, transform, load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia pretty much covers all you need to know.

It's the IT equivalent of unblocking toilets full of tulipe. Not fun but pays the bills and crops up over and over again.

Comment

Jeez you lot do dull work ....
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  There's not much to it really and it's been a staple source of contracting income for me over the years. Infact Extract, transform, load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia pretty much covers all you need to know.

It's the IT equivalent of unblocking toilets full of tulipe. Not fun but pays the bills and crops up over and over again.
                  Yep. I've worked with numpties like you

And it's this "it's not rocket science" attitude that leads to complacency that leaves things to the end of the project that then ****s things up totally.

It goes like this

Numpty "Just move the stock from the old system to the new system"

SY01 "All fine. There's some new fields in the new system that we don't have data for. We need to define some rules"

Numpty "Just default them all"

SY01 "To what?"

Numpty "I don't know, default values".

SY01 "OK. So let's take the first example. I have a field which flags a product as having stock. Shall I default all your products as stockable?"

Numpty "No you can't, we sell digital online media which isn't stocked"

SY01 "Starting to sound scarily close to defining a rule for this field. How would I identify which products are digital online media?"

Numpty "You can't, well, not easily"

SY01 "OK, so we can't default this value, and you can't provide a rule"

Numpty "Looks that way"

Comment

ETL = Easy Time Luverly-Jubbly

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      ETL = Easy Time Luverly-Jubbly
                      Grrrrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                      X