• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Truths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy, Tedious, Lucrative.

Do we have a cash register smiley?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Grrrrrrrr
      It makes I laugh you actually think this is hard IT stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        It makes I laugh you actually think this is hard IT stuff.

It actually makes I cringe that an allegedly time seasoned contractor doesn't get this. Still, actually, as you were young DP. You keep on being complacent, all the more work for me to dig yet another project outta da shoite
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          It actually makes I cringe that an allegedly time seasoned contractor doesn't get this. Still, actually, as you were young DP. You keep on being complacent, all the more work for me to dig yet another project outta da shoite
          Do you really think you are the only guy that has made a tricky data migration work??

Yes, there are pitfalls .. and I see Bobs fall into them quite often ... but any reasonably competent (ie. systematic, methodic, intelligent and experienced) IT guy can make a data migration work.

I told you, its all about defining a good reconciliation process .. and having several dry runs of the migration over weekends leading up to the real migration. Treat those dry runs as production, ie. get the business in doing their own reconciliations. Then you will be fine.

Honestly, this stuff really is not hard. You have no insight into this problem that the rest of us have missed. We have all been there, seen the pitfalls, worked out good solutions and moved on to more challenging work.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
            Do you really think you are the only guy that has made a tricky data migration work??

Yes, there are pitfalls .. and I see Bobs fall into them quite often ... but any reasonably competent (ie. systematic, methodic, intelligent and experienced) IT guy can make a data migration work.

I told you, its all about defining a good reconciliation process .. and having several dry runs of the migration over weekends leading up to the real migration. Treat those dry runs as production, ie. get the business in doing their own reconciliations. Then you will be fine.

Honestly, this stuff really is not hard. You have no insight into this problem that the rest of us have missed. We have all been there, seen the pitfalls, worked out good solutions and moved on to more challenging work.
            Bollocks
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Bollocks
              Its not bollocks its Aussie's (Fantasy world)

Especially the permies coming in to test stuff over the weekend.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                The only thing I've ever known a permie test properly is my patience.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Its not bollocks its Aussie's (Fantasy world)

Well, he is talking crap. Some of the problems that are encountered are unique and challenging, which means that an ace problem solver is required.
                  AL attitude seems to be 'oh yes, I solved a tricky problem once, so thats an easy job to be left to the children whilst I concentrate on a problem that has never been cracked yet. Like Aussie Longs last theorem'

tosser

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Home Truths

Well, he is talking crap. Some of the problems that are encountered are unique and challenging, which means that an ace problem solver is required.
                    AL attitude seems to be 'oh yes, I solved a 11+ problem once, so thats an easy job to be left to the children whilst I concentrate on a problem that doesn't really exist.
                    :
                    Ftfy as you were being too generous to sas's special needs cousin
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

AL attitude seems to be 'oh yes, I solved a tricky problem once, so thats an easy job to be left to the children whilst I concentrate on a problem that has never been cracked yet. Like Aussie Longs last theorem'

tosser

Bollocks.

ETL is not a hard problem if you know your stuff (unless you are B-team). I've migrated 1000s of trades between banking systems. You mess that up, valuations are wrong, traders trade from incorrect positions, bank has to stop trading.

You are projecting again. I guess it doesn't matter if kwiksave's online portal says its out of mars bars due to suity's migwation stwategy.

Comment

Working...
                      X