• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Truths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

The rest have not done a big **** off, arsehole ******, big bag of shoite, utter back breaking, total runaround, nest of vipers, think you're nearly done but in actual fact you've got nowhere, bag of wank, cluster**** data migration before.

I have. 180TB of data, I did all the analysis, set-up the software and hardware, wrote all the code and did the migration myself whilst working on another project 4 days a week elsewhere.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
      You should never try and clean up the data as part of the migration. Trap for new players. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions. But you have only two real choices.
      But sadly it's often required.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        But sadly it's often required.
        The business owns the data not IT. As part of a data migration any cleansing of data is to be agreed with the business, the true data owners. IT professionals have a level of arrogance around data migration. How could the business have been so stupid entering this crap data in the first place. Answer? Because the system and The IT owners allowed them to.

If IT does not have buy in from the business and Not are able to work with strong business data analysts/owners then it's going to be a mess.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          The business owns the data not IT. As part of a data migration any cleansing of data is to be agreed with the business, the true data owners. IT professionals have a level of arrogance around data migration. How could the business have been so stupid entering this crap data in the first place. Answer? Because the system and The IT owners allowed them to.

If IT does not have buy in from the business and Not are able to work with strong business data analysts/owners then it's going to be a mess.
          Agree with all of that, which is why I always ask to speak to the Data Architect (or equivalent).

I find it quite depressing that so many clients have little or no concept of business data analysts or indeed data owners (of any calibre).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I did one where one of the users decided to use a novel data type at the last minute. Half a dozen successful dry runs, then fail on d-day
            on the same migration, a file move failed because the user made a big long path/filename that was too long for the new folder structure. he was only trying to be helpful

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Jeez we still talking about this?

Comment

Well now. Says the idiot who can't hire contractors that he needs then runs for the hills blaming then when they don't deliver what he needs, clearly when failing to

a) Identify the staff he needs
                b) Identify the deliverables

You are already exposed on here as a joke since your recent foray into management so you opinion counts for **** all.

Truly HTH BISDI.

Tore him one there.

I'm, I'm ........ a monster.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Tore him one there.

I'm, I'm ........ a monster.

But it was a home truth so I'm on topic for a change
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                  X