• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you pass your driving test...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car, bike and plane first time.

On the bike test (recent), I stopped within the first 30 seconds as I couldn't hear the instructor. He said the volume was at max and there was nothing he could do, so would I like to cancel the test? I gulped, got back on the bike and did as best I could. Within the first 5 mins I thought I'd failed - everything went wrong, I was really unsettled and then thought - feck it.

After that, I rode very relaxed and was amazed I'd passed - the instructor said what on earth were you doing in the first five mins?!?!?! lol!

Scariest test was the twin aircraft rating - I was in a Seneca II Turbo 200T twin aircraft and the examiner made me bank the aircraft left and look out the left window for a scan before I did a max rate left hand turn.

At that time the left engine spluttered and lost power. Being as I was in a left hand banking turn the plane went into a steep left hand dive, I banged the right rudder pedal to stop the extreme yaw and tried to stabilise the plane. I looked right at my examiner with a face that said "what the **** do we do!?!?!" He just turned around and said "go through the emergency checklist NOW"

Feck me! I got the plane steady, power max, props max, mixture full rich. Right rudder, left leg dead. Left engine dead. Confirmed left engine dead. Fuel tanks: check. Fuel cutoff switches: bastard!!!! The examiner had surreptitiously cut the fuel off to the left engine as I was looking out the window.

I turned to him and smiled and carried out the engine feathering and shutdown drills for the left engine.

Now, that's the proper way to make sure you've understood and are capable of carrying out your training in an examination!
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
      First time in London- Failed, pulling back into driving centre I hit accelerate instead of break, nearly went through the wall - instant fail.
      Second time in Lancashire - too scared to hit 5th gear on motorway - instant fail
      Third time in Lancashire - indicator on car failed - didnt leave the car park
      Forth time passed - week later driving a chrysler x4 in North Carolina, 6 weeks training with work - that is when I really learned to drive!
      Instant fail not because of lack of 5th gear but because learners are not allowed on the motorway (seems a bit daft because you can go on one without motorway training or supervision straight after passing your test)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Switzerland is easy. At the end of the test the pupil asks the examiner "What is the name given to a gap in the mountains where roads are built?" When the examiner answers; the pupil says thanks.
        ow. ow. ow.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
          Instant fail not because of lack of 5th gear but because learners are not allowed on the motorway (seems a bit daft because you can go on one without motorway training or supervision straight after passing your test)
          It's probably more to do with minimising motorway closures than your own personal safety.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
            In Germany you have to do a mandatory amount of hours on a motorway plus driving at night. I personally think this is a good idea to get learners to drive in circumstances which they're going to have to do once they've passed. Mind you, doing your license here costs a bomb
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
            X