• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - Driving instruction.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother in law was talking about lorry driving, he claims that you can earn good money driving back and forth and can step in and out of the jobs at will, once you are qualified.
    Anyone know whether that is the case?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      My brother in law was talking about lorry driving, he claims that you can earn good money driving back and forth and can step in and out of the jobs at will, once you are qualified.
      Sockpuppet does this IIRC.

Comment

I retrained to get into IT in 1992 due to bad injuries keeping me out of work as a QS. Currently enjoying the contracting, and it isn't as bad as most folk are suggesting. I keep getting gigs, and at good rates. However, the idea of retraining always interests and I believe the area to do so, especially in the south west, is with renewables as they will start to get more important, especially with the billions being added to our bills in order to fund them....

Comment

Just like any other job it can get rough in a recession, but yes.

You do need to be 100% reliable or the jobs soon dry up.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Sockpuppet does this IIRC.
            Yes, and IIRC he has the full HGV Class I licence.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The (ex) Gurkha's have been piling into lorry driving around here in Kent - the Government offer free training as part of their leaving package.

Meanwhile UK born chaps will have to get and pay for a 7.5 tonne then a class II training & licence think it costs around £1500
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I know someone who became a driving instructor.

He married one of his pupils IIRC.

Then he became an accountant.

And trained up as one of those house assessor thingies that the New Lie dreamed up.

Last seen in the local rag mourning the passing of said house assessor thingies when the tories cancelled the idea.

I built a CRM for a company offering the home information pack service training course. The guy who set up and ran the company was on the Liebour panel which recommended and passed off this unnecessary red tape.
                Anyway since I built the CRM I had access to all records and it was painful to see what was happening. People chucked away good jobs and signed up for this training paying around 10K and were all promised jobs paying 50K annually. Conservatives cancelled it and they were all jobless and the training company shut down.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Funny that. I'll be telling my son to get a degree from Oxbridge, you can do what you like then, if you then want to go and do something else you can and you will always have somthing to go back to or just do in your spare time
                  Like that maths student who got a Desmond(2-2) from Oxford in maths then ended up as a waiter in pizza hut?

He would have been better off at Durham and getting a 1st or 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    Does Esther know that you like to eye up sweaty totty at the gym?
                    If they are over 16 does Ester care? I wonder what she thought of Jimmy Savile?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Like that maths student who got a Desmond(2-2) from Oxford in maths then ended up as a waiter in pizza hut?

He would have been better off at Durham and getting a 1st or 2-1.
                      If he got a 2-2 at oxford he would have got the same from any decent redbrick uni.

The general problem is we don't have another tradesmen and we have too many graduates with crap degrees (both in level and subject matter). Give children that information and let them decide what they want to do.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X