• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Least reliable cars 1997 - 2012

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Germans make innovative but unreliable cars whereas the Japanese make boring but reliable ones.

I´ve passed lots of broken down Mercs and BMW´s on the Autobahn, but they do look gr8.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The Germans make innovative but unreliable cars whereas the Japanese make boring but reliable ones.

I´ve passed lots of broken down Mercs and BMW´s on the Autobahn, but they do look gr8.

Mercs look the best. BMW are not that good and Audis look horrible. IMO.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        No, the opposite is not true in the case of manufacturing. No two items are identical when it comes to producing items like Engines etc. The manufacturing process is identical but the materials, environment conditions etc differ and they all result in faults. I know because I have been in a manufacturing industry as apprentice and seen first hand how no two items were the same.
        While you may be right, high-end niche cars like Ferraris have terrible reliability compared to mass-produced budget trash like Kia.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

I believe that Jag cleaned up their reliability issues in the late '90's. I know a couple of people with high mileage Jags and apart from expensive servicing (probably not much different from BMW or Merc though) they haven't moaned about bits falling off or going twang.
          Mine has 170K on the clock and still runs pretty well. The only fairly expensive thing that went kaput recently (not due to a prang on my part) was one of the coils. These are about £150 a pop, and with several to go pop that could work out quite expensive. (The garage says any of the others could and very likely will go at any moment!)

edit: Has doohg said anything interesting above? He's on my ignore list.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            No, the opposite is not true in the case of manufacturing. No two items are identical when it comes to producing items like Engines etc. The manufacturing process is identical but the materials, environment conditions etc differ and they all result in faults. I know because I have been in a manufacturing industry as apprentice and seen first hand how no two items were the same.
            But that doesn't make small volume production more reliable. If you have to make 100 of something, it might come down to a bloke with a hammer, whereas the only way you make a million of something is investing in precision machinery with strict controls over materials and conditions etc. That was the point I was making.

And in reality, the Japanese manufacturers tend not only to produce the most reliable cars, they also have the most productive factories. That wouldn't be the case if they had more quality control issues.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Need to factor in driving style.

A Corolla isn't the most fun to drive, and you wouldn't buy one for fun.

A higher powered car is likely to be driven harder. Most BMW drivers (of which I'm one before anyone gets all defensive) seem to drive like they just stole it. Fine for a race car that gets a full service after each race but with service intervals of many 000's of miles it can't help longevity. And most on the roads are probably on contract anyway so the driver doesn't care less.

Also wonder how many of the unreliable ones have had engine remappings as well, got to squeeze every last hp out of that thing
              Gronda Gronda

Comment

The people who appreciate cars are liable to be more picky and find fault more easily. This is why you get a load of boring cars on the reliability lists and more interesting cars on this list.

edit; The CL and the Bentley are mega cars for not much money, so the people that buy these sometimes forget that the maintenance costs mega car prices so try and skimp with the expected results.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

If TVR still made cars that list would read more like their production catalogue.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    If TVR still made cars that list would read more like their production catalogue.
                    Easy, tiger!
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X