• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are working people this dependant on benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Do you get any sport on the basic SKY package? (other than eurosport which is mince)
    I thought the basic pack was around 20 quid with an extra 16 for sports.

I got rid of sports years ago and just * cough* stream any football

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      I think he meant "um" in that if they jacked in Sky they could pay for the kids milk & fruit at school.
      Exactly. It's a matter of priorities.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        People don't know the meaning of poverty in this country.
        Where does it say poverty? The article is about a working family finding it hard to keep up a decent standard of living because inflation is rampant and benefits have been cut.

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Sounds like childcare might be the business to being as both these articles cite it as being expensive.
        Childcare is bloody expensive, we have our boy in nursery and it costs £27 a half day. France has a subsidised cap of 16 Euro per day.

Working and putting kids into nursery doesn't make economic sense for some people.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Childcare is bloody expensive, we have our boy in nursery and it costs £27 a half day. France has a subsidised cap of 16 Euro per day.

Working and putting kids into nursery doesn't make economic sense for some people.
          Yep, damn expensive, but I wonder how many costs are caused by over-regulation, and whether childcare could be arranged by parents collaborating with other parents.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Where does it say poverty? The article is about a working family finding it hard to keep up a decent standard of living because inflation is rampant and benefits have been cut.
            It's inferred but if they're not in poverty what are they complaining about? It's not a human right to be middle-class.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Do you get any sport on the basic SKY package? (other than eurosport which is mince)
              Eurosport's great, but no you don't get any of the "BIG" sports.

The poor people having Sky argument is a bit weak. Staying in with Sky would cost far less than money spent in the pub, far example, so maybe it's not that bad.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                It's not a human right to be middle-class.
                Indeed it isn't, and being 'middle class' is not a passport to material wealth. But when the middle classes get angry, they can get dangerous, and they get angry when they feel they're losing something they had. 'The Workers Revolution' is a myth; look at the world's history and it's often the disgruntled middle classes that put tyrants into power.

Comment

Yep, damn expensive, but I wonder how many costs are caused by over-regulation,
                  Over-regulation, yes.

and whether childcare could be arranged by parents collaborating with other parents.
                  If there is any 'reward' for looking after a child that isn't yours, then its illegal if you aren't ofsted registered.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    Over-regulation, yes.

If there is any 'reward' for looking after a child that isn't yours, then its illegal if you aren't ofsted registered.
                    Over-regulation then. The nanny state strangles you to stop the nanny strangling your kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Yep, damn expensive, but I wonder how many costs are caused by over-regulation, and whether childcare could be arranged by parents collaborating with other parents.
                      My wife already looks after a friends daughter after school and her mum returns the favour, the fact is kids cost more than an average working wage can support and this is only too apparent now tax credits have been chopped.

Carry on the witch hunt (not aimed at you MTT).
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X