• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jimmy Savile 'household name' sweep

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this was not about Clifford, just some dishevelled pensioner you seen in the papers, you would all be screaming for nads to be cut off.

Comment

No, I agree entirely about the 80's, as it was like that. However, if you're mid 30's rock star/DJ/Actor/Singer/Whatever and you're actively shagging girls around the age of 16, then as I said, you're ringing that particular maelstrom to your own front door. As an 18-21 year old at Uni, I am sure I sailed pretty close to the wind at times, at nightclubs, etc, but if you're 30's, and actively looking for young girls, as I say, well, it's your own problem now. I am 48, and if I slept with a 16 yo now, I'd feel it was wrong. Rightly too. Aged 35, I'd know I was doing something morally unjustifiable too, especially as you wouldn't know if they were lying.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        If this was not about Clifford, just some dishevelled pensioner you seen in the papers, you would all be screaming for nads to be cut off.
        Possibly, but a dishevelled pensioner is unlikely to have lots of young girls offering themselves to him.

If it were a very wealthy pensioner then we might suspect something.

follow the money/motive.

Not defending Clifford just suspecting there is more to it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          One threw me out of a ground floor window, I was aged 8 and was being cheeky at worst. Another pulled a chunk out of my hair, as he attempted to carry me across the classroom by holding my off the ground by my hair, and one geography teacher actually physically assaulted me for mocking his 'welshness'.

Good job you have really turned the corner with your people skills.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Good job you have really turned the corner with your people skills.

Oh, the ironing...

I shouldn't sledge the welsh really, what with all that oil off Milford Haven that Cameron is after

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Oh, the ironing...

I shouldn't sledge the welsh really, what with all that oil off Milford Haven that Cameron is after
              You shouldn't sledge anyone as it usually seems to result in you getting your weedy arse kicked!

Have you warmed up yet Jessie???

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I guess the attitude expressed as to whether these actions that occurred distant in the past are a "crime" or "Just what happened" will differ strongly if you consider yourself a perpetrator or victim.

I also wonder whether we might start to see a whole spate of "ordinary" people being prosecuted for the things they once did a long, long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  I guess the attitude expressed as to whether these actions that occurred distant in the past are a "crime" or "Just what happened" will differ strongly if you consider yourself a perpetrator or victim.

I also wonder whether we might start to see a whole spate of "ordinary" people being prosecuted for the things they once did a long, long time ago.
                  that's the whole point you cannot prosecute using retrospective legislation.

If they were a crime then then they should be prosecuted as if it were then.

If they are a crime now but weren't then its unfortunate but they have to go free.

If the 'assault' was 'copping a feel' (as it was called then) then it has to go by the wayside. Nowadays that would quite rightly see you prosecuted.

If it was knowingly /pressuring an underage child / girl into sex then it was a crime then.

Comment

When was 'copping a feel' criminalised? In 2000?

Oh I think what we'll find is that it was actually illegal all along. It just moved from being socially acceptable to being unacceptable.

Boo hoo hooo : Poor little rich man, abused his power and now he's going to have to share a cell with a nasty man called bubba.

I don't have any sympathy for him/them.

If we get a couple of high profile convictions then the floodgates could open and hey all those people who used to "Cop a feel" ( or perverts as those of us who didn't thought of them ) might get to "Feel a copper"

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      When was 'copping a feel' criminalised? In 2000?

Oh I think what we'll find is that it was actually illegal all along. It just moved from being socially acceptable to being unacceptable.

Boo hoo hooo : Poor little rich man, abused his power and now he's going to have to share a cell with a nasty man called bubba.

I don't have any sympathy for him/them.

If we get a couple of high profile convictions then the floodgates could open and hey all those people who used to "Cop a feel" ( or perverts as those of us who didn't thought of them ) might get to "Feel a copper"
                      do try to read my post.

The law changed a number of times 1956,81, 2003. All had subtle changes. In my mind they were improvements.

However what you thought of someone now and then is different to what was illegal back then.

Unfortunately the law has always been an ass.

This has always been the way, your display of righteous indignation is why we have laws to stop people like you grabbing stones and assembling in the market square.

You have no idea what offences were or were not committed, only what has been accused. Yet you are baying for Blood.

Comment

Working...
                      X