• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jimmy Savile 'household name' sweep

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I hope he gets off. Some of this happened nearly 50 years ago and it was a different world then. You can't criminally try yesterday's history by today's context, you can only judge it in the subjective sense and move on. He was just over 20 then, he's 70 now. I don't expect you to agree with me, I just think the massive amounts of money being spent on these cases should be used to detect and prosecute current day paedos and abusers, not old men. These aren't war criminals and this isn't Nuremburg. It is a witch hunt though and there are scores being settled here.

I do think Savile was a different kettle of fish and my post doesn't refer to the likes of him.
    Without knowing the details, it's difficult to make a call. Do we know what he is accused of?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Without knowing the details, it's difficult to make a call. Do we know what he is accused of?
      It's 11 indecent assaults allegedly committed between 1966 and 1985.

The alleged offences relate to seven different women and girls ranging in age from 14 to 19.

i.e. a nonce.

Comment

I hope he gets off. Some of this happened nearly 50 years ago and it was a different world then. You can't criminally try yesterday's history by today's context, you can only judge it in the subjective sense and move on. He was just over 20 then, he's 70 now. I don't expect you to agree with me, I just think the massive amounts of money being spent on these cases should be used to detect and prosecute current day paedos and abusers, not old men. These aren't war criminals and this isn't Nuremburg. It is a witch hunt though and there are scores being settled here.

I do think Savile was a different kettle of fish and my post doesn't refer to the likes of him.
        Ah the UKIP supporter.

Let's go back to a golden era when women knew their place, eh?

In a forum where tulipe gets regularly spouted this takes the biscuit. You heard of the rule of law?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Agree entirely. Sounds like Clifford's behaviour was probably pretty much par for the course in those days.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Agree entirely. Sounds like Clifford's behaviour was probably pretty much par for the course in those days.
            Yes you're definitely in the cretin camp.
            If "par for the course" is a legitimate defence, then I guess any Germans who murdered Jews didn't commit a crime.
            It was "only par for the course", m'lud.
            Last edited by sasguru; 27 April 2013, 09:54.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

There will be a glee shortage when davids beckham and mellor have bought a few truckloads to rub their hands in. Maybe all his former clients should have a whip-round to see if they can get the money for Clifford to represent himself

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Yes you're definitely in the cretin camp.
                If "par for the course" is a legitimate defence, then I guess any Germans who murdered Jews didn't commit a crime.
                It was "only par for the course", m'lud.
                OK, but don't be surprised if there's a knock on your door in 30 or 40 years' time and you're arrested and prosecuted for calling people cretins all those years ago.

After all, intellect hate crimes may be a serious offence by then
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

OK, but don't be surprised if there's a knock on your door in 30 or 40 years' time and you're arrested and prosecuted for calling people cretins all those years ago.

We are talking about crimes which were on the statute book at the time, in a civilised society*, cretin.
                  Otherwise there would be no case to answer.

Jeez, if I'm ever arrested for for intellect hate crimes, I'm sure I'll be let off with a warning due to to the incredible imbecility that I'm presented with.

*I added this in case you bring up the bogus argument that mudering Jews was not a crime in 30s Germany.
                  Of course when a country is run by a bunch of psycopaths, the rule of law is neither here nor there.
                  Last edited by sasguru; 27 April 2013, 10:34.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

With Savile, it sounds as if stuff was reported at the time, dismissed and ignored.

If a girl reported at the time that she was assaulted by Clifford, and it wasn't followed up, then there's clearly a case to answer. If the crime is reported some decades later then there still could be a case to answer, but it's less straightforward as attitudes do change. It could be "He groped my bum and I am jumping on the bandwagon" or it could be "He did something horrible, but I never thought I'd be believed. Now, with all that's come forward, I feel I can report my case".

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      We are talking about crimes which were on the statute book at the time, in a civilised society*
                      I agree with SASGuru - blimey that hurt.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X