• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could have a black James Bond next....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You forgot disabled! Fascist!!!

Seriously, would a white guy be generally welcomed playing a major established Indian, Arab or African fictional character? Why are we alone expected to be so unaturally disengaged with our own culture?
    Its called being Anti-White, its very popular here for some reason.

Comment

You forgot disabled! Fascist!!!

Seriously, would a white guy be generally welcomed playing a major established Indian, Arab or African fictional character? Why are we alone expected to be so unaturally disengaged with our own culture?
      I see your point that there could be more attention for British culture, but I don't think that a black James Bond indicates being 'disengaged with our own culture' at all; if anything it shows an awareness that black people have been a part of 'our culture' for a very long time, and perhaps recognises that 'British' at some time became a very inclusive concept that actually spread all the way across the world.

Sorry, but I can't get wound up about this.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They could get a black chap and put white makeup on him. Not much different from what they do with Othello.

Comment

I just have an Image of a remake of Roots with an all white middle class class.

Jeremy Irons as Chicken George

Russel Brand as young chicken george etc.

ok challenge which ethnic drama's could be made with opposing races as stars and which stars?

Upstairs Downstairs goes street with Wesley Snipes as the Butler , Forrest Whittaker as the Lord, and Queen Latifah as the lady?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            I just have an Image of a remake of Roots with an all white middle class class.

Jeremy Irons as Chicken George

Russel Brand as young chicken george etc.

ok challenge which ethnic drama's could be made with opposing races as stars and which stars?

Upstairs Downstairs goes street with Wesley Snipes as the Butler , Forrest Whittaker as the Lord, and Queen Latifah as the lady?

There is a well know and well loved tradition in this country called pantomime where people dress up as members of the opposite thingy

Bond should never be allowed to decend into pantomime

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Its called being Anti-White, its very popular here for some reason.
              Who is anti-white and how does this manifest itself? Or is this just part of your fascistic political lunacy?
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Not much different from what they do with Othello
                Despite the supposedly brilliant acting I thought Lawrence Olivier was crap in that part, that blacked up job was awful. It's not entirely about culture but simply about making things believable. Something set in the court of Henry VIII with black guys or the court of Dingaan with white guys would be equally unconvincing.

Sometimes, like things set in the present day, fantasy tales with dragons or blokes in time travelling police boxes or opera, it doesn't matter. In other cases, and I'd include Bond since he is such an iconic figure with a link to many people's childhoods, it detracts from the story for many.

There's little equality in the level of equality applied either and that creates resentment. There's a fuss about one TV series with no minority characters and yet perfectly it's ok to have a separate Asian channel.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's not entirely about culture but simply about making things believable. Something set in the court of Henry VIII with black guys or the court of Dingaan with white guys would be equally unconvincing.
                  Or the Olympics games opening ceremony?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Upstairs Downstairs goes street…
                    Wouldn't that be The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?

Comment

Isn't the point of Bond that he comes across as an 'old fashioned British gentleman', rather suave, good with the laydees partly by looking good and dressing well, has a dry humour, is well spoken and a certain independence of mind? There are black men who have those qualities and there are others who don't. I'd find a Chav bond a problem, but I'm really not bothered by a Bond being black; perhaps believable is that it's a black guy from some ancient aristocratic family in a former British colony in Africa, where, incidentally, you'll probably find more 'gentlemen' than in Britain these days.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X