• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Discrimination a right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's the thin end of the wedge imo

First they turn a blind eye (ala quentin crisp)
    Then they preach tolerance
    Then they make it legal
    then they make it illegal to discriminate against them

next they will make it compulsory

I have heard the same:
    First it was illegal
    Then it was 21
    Then it was 18
    Now it's 16,
    I am geting out before it's compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      ISTM that there are 2 distinct questions here:

1. Is the law against discrimination right, in general?
      2. if so, is someone's religious belief a proper justification for not obeying the law?

My opinion is Yes, and No.
      I rather think Yes to No 1, and I'm 100% sure about No to No 2.
      Turning it around, what happens when we have laws based on religious teachings? An atheist or adherent to a different religion should follow those laws above what they believe is right also?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The law is the law and correctly legislates that businesses can't discriminate.
        If you don't like that don't start a business that will lead to conflict between your primitive, medieval beliefs and the law.
        End of story.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Turning it around, what happens when we have laws based on religious teachings? An atheist or adherent to a different religion should follow those laws above what they believe is right also?
          You may as well as just base it on JRR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings. That's about as relevant as religion.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I suspect it was a militant action and they were set up.

I would love to see a Gay friendly and other religions sued for similar discrimination.

thing about discrimination it can't discriminate!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              There is a qualitative difference between laws based on reason and science and laws based on primitive superstitions. That difference is epitomised in the difference between UK law and Saudi Arabian law, say.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                You may as well as just base it on JRR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings. That's about as relevant as religion.
                Oi think fourth breakfast should be made law oi do....

Comment

You probably could do to look at a dictionary MF. Something which shapes the lives of perhaps 2 billion peoples' lives is hardly irrelevant.

Perhaps you meant 'realistic' or 'useful'?

Of course you've totally missed the question being asked...

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    The law is the law and correctly legislates that businesses can't discriminate.
                    If you don't like that don't start a business that will lead to conflict between your primitive, medieval beliefs and the law.
                    End of story.
                    Pubs discriminate against drunks.

fookers.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      There is a qualitative difference between laws based on reason and science and laws based on primitive superstitions. That difference is epitomised in the difference between UK law and Saudi Arabian law, say.
                      How exactly do you use science to formulate law? Since most of our laws come from centuries back, and are based pretty heavily on Christian moral teachings, how are UK laws based on reason or science?

You might claim our laws have slowly been moving towards reason but that's a seaprate issue.

And since when do you think our legal system is reasonable anyway, you spend a lot of time saying how stupid it is!
                      Last edited by d000hg; 19 October 2012, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
                      X