• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Discrimination a right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These stupid laws just make people behave dishonestly.

Do the gay couple want to stay at a BB owned by people who hate them? No of course not, and the owners dont want them to stay either.

So if everyone was allowed to advertise who they were happy providing services to then everyone would be happy.

The gays would go to the gay friendly places and so on. Everyone is happy, no one is forced to do anything they dont want etc But of course the government gets involved and fks it up for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      These stupid laws just make people behave dishonestly.

Do the gay couple want to stay at a BB owned by people who hate them? No of course not, and the owners dont want them to stay either.

So if everyone was allowed to advertise who they were happy providing services to then everyone would be happy.

The gays would go to the gay friendly places and so on. Everyone is happy, no one is forced to do anything they dont want etc But of course the European Parliament gets involved and fks it up for everyone.
      Sorry, had to correct that.

The gay couple were right to complain, but only due to the laws we have.

It's an odd situation and I would like to see the laws tested fully, across all religious spectrums.

I am sure should the gay couple book a double together in a Muslim B&B in Rochdale, they'd not be allowed to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        If she does not want them she should not have to take them, it is her business and her property. She is not providing a public service.

Charging her 3,600 is a feckin joke and shows you how deranged this country is when sexual preference is above religion.
        A lot of people find homosexuality wrong and against their beliefs. Many find it disgusting and immoral - that does not mean to say they are discriminating just that they don't agree with it. Shouldn't they have the right to believe and live how they want so long as they are not denying somebody else's human rights. Those guys do not have the right to stay in a particular hotel/b&b - the owners have the right to turn away whomever they please.

Comment

The couple's argument "a B&B is a business not your private home" seems a bit weak to me. Can't a business refuse to serve anyone they want?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The opposite happened to my wife and I in Brighton last year , we booked a room in a "Gay Friendly" hotel and were basically turned away as we were straight.

Given that we went to recover after some brutal personal problems, it was very damaging to us both.

I don't think we had any right to complain at all, after all its the business owners' decision who they let in and don't let in.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              I don't know it's stated the owners hate gay people.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                The opposite happened to my wife and I in Brighton last year , we booked a room in a "Gay Friendly" hotel and were basically turned away as we were straight.

Given that we went to recover after some brutal personal problems, it was very damaging to us both.

I don't think we had any right to complain at all, after all its the business owners' decision who they let in and don't let in.
                Sue them. The going rate is £3600 I believe

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  It's an interesting debate, in that if your faith dictates you abhor, and don't agree with certain activities, practices, should you be forced by law to ignore your faith?

I'd be interested to see what would happen if homosexuals turned up in a muslim B&B and that was taken to court.

Do you think there is a right to put your views on a paying public as a business, or do you think as a business, you have to operate to the governing rules of the day, no matter how they offend your beliefs.

P.S. Would love to see Griffin rock up to a Muslim B&B

Right to discriminate
                  ISTM that there are 2 distinct questions here:

1. Is the law against discrimination right, in general?
                  2. if so, is someone's religious belief a proper justification for not obeying the law?

My opinion is Yes, and No.
                  I rather think Yes to No 1, and I'm 100% sure about No to No 2.

But I would remark that someone who really believed that their religion trumped the law would choose to break the law and take the consequences, rather than go against their religion. Therefore if they do obey the law, whether with good or bad grace, they do not really believe that their faith is more important, so they don't deserve a special exemption.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

It's the thin end of the wedge imo

First they turn a blind eye (ala quentin crisp)
                    Then they preach tolerance
                    Then they make it legal
                    then they make it illegal to discriminate against them

next they will make it compulsory

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                      ISTM that there are 2 distinct questions here:

1. Is the law against discrimination right, in general?
                      2. if so, is someone's religious belief a proper justification for not obeying the law?

My opinion is Yes, and No.
                      I rather think Yes to No 1, and I'm 100% sure about No to No 2.

But I would remark that someone who really believed that their religion trumped the law would choose to break the law and take the consequences, rather than go against their religion. Therefore if they do obey the law, whether with good or bad grace, they do not really believe that their faith is more important, so they don't deserve a special exemption.
                      Unfortunately, if you agree with 2. you have to agree that Jihad and Fatwahs are acceptable and further, both the bible and the koran can easily be used to justify any behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                      X