• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Discrimination a right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Nick Griffin has once again shown himself a twat, he is correct the people have the right to refuse entry to anyone into their own home, but the BnB in question was not a home, it's a business so subject to a different set of laws.
    I am not questioning Griffin, for I agree. But the point stands, must you drop your beliefs to run a business? It appears you do.

I am genuinely interested to see what would happen were a Muslim run B&B to do the same.

In Sri Lanka, travelling once, me and a girl friend were not allowed to share the same room, as we were not married. This was in Galle in a Muslim B&B. We didn't question it, as it was, in our opinion, the womans right (Mrs Khalid - Top place as it happens) to not allow us to do so. I remember back in the 80's being stopped from staying with a girlfriends as well, here in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      It's an interesting debate, in that if your faith dictates you abhor, and don't agree with certain activities, practices, should you be forced by law to ignore your faith?

I'd be interested to see what would happen if homosexuals turned up in a muslim B&B and that was taken to court.

Do you think there is a right to put your views on a paying public as a business, or do you think as a business, you have to operate to the governing rules of the day, no matter how they offend your beliefs.

P.S. Would love to see Griffin rock up to a Muslim B&B

Right to discriminate

OH, that link didn't take me to where I thought it was going to take me

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        If she does not want them she should not have to take them, it is her business and her property. She is not providing a public service.

Charging her 3,600 is a feckin joke and shows you how deranged this country is when sexual preference is above religion.
        But her personal views and those of her business are not the same thing, I personally find smelly people offensive, but I am not allowed to discriminate against them as a business.

How many times have we tried to explain to noobs that they need to think like a business, not as a person.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          OH, that link didn't take me to where I thought it was going to take me

Oh crap, sorry, cut and paste th wrong link

Comment

If she does not want them she should not have to take them, it is her business and her property. She is not providing a public service.

Charging her 3,600 is a feckin joke and shows you how deranged this country is when sexual preference is above religion.
            /Pedant mode on

Tolerance

/Pedant mode off

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Why would they want to?
              Because they can.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                But her personal views and those of her business are not the same thing, I personally find smelly people offensive, but I am not allowed to discriminate against them as a business.

How many times have we tried to explain to noobs that they need to think like a business, not as a person.
                If I turned up at a marriot with a girl dressed like a prostitute on a leash they would tell me to p1ss off.

Why is that different?

Comment

If I turned up at a marriot with a girl dressed like a prostitute on a leash they would tell me to p1ss off.

Why is that different?
                  Not at the Reading one they don't.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Why is that different?
                    To be fair, if they had turned up with one dressed as a prostitute on a leash, the couple would have been within their rights to turn them away (according to the law).

TBH, the couple should simply have said 'O we've overbooked, sorry go away' and they would have been ok. It's because they made a stand that they were taken to the cleaners. IIRC wasn't there something about them originally being set up anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      Because they can.
                      I've got a litre here. Do you want some?

Comment

Working...
                      X