• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily 'no, seriously dude, wtf'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently I was working at an IB in London and they spent thousands of hours coding time trying to improve their overnight batch. I think they reduced it from 9 hours to 8 hours. Then someone realized that the database was running on 10 year old cpus - just replacing them reduced to 4 hours.

cpus are cheaper than coders.

Comment

Let's give it more memory and bigger ram!

Comment

Suity, in "saving the world, one project at a time" mode

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Why are you not running systems in parallel?

MF in 'Director' Mode.
          It is an option.

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          1000 a minute? What are you running? A ZX Spectrum?

Tell them to buy a nice big mainframe. It's what they're built for.
          Don't diss the speccy man .

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
          You really took control of that situation and used your experience and knowledge to resolve the issue.
          Thanks

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          The system isnt Epicor's Vantage, by any chance?
          No

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          FTFY
          Well it rhymes with crap.

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Is it VMware on a glorified PC?
          Yup
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Recently I was working at an IB in London and they spent thousands of hours coding time trying to improve their overnight batch. I think they reduced it from 9 hours to 8 hours. Then someone realized that the database was running on 10 year old cpus - just replacing them reduced to 4 hours.

cpus are cheaper than coders
            WRONG!

Sorry BP, but I have to fundamentally disagree with you there. CPUs SHOULD be cheaper than coders, but they aren't because adding a cpu involves making formal requests, countersigned by a director, to the bloated purchasing department, then having the request denied because you haven't filled in part III section b, subsection iv of the ISO9000 purchasing request form, which means you have to fill in a new form, get it countersigned by a director and approved by the compliance officer who's having a day off for his 'elf and safety course, then awaiting purchasing to send you confirmation, then waiting for the preferred supplier to deliver according to their SLA, which states that said CPU will be delivered within 6 weeks (in other words, in 6 weeks) of receipt of countersigned and compliance stamped order form. Then said CPU waits around in a mysterious postage holding centre known only to the purchasing people, and eventually, after nobody's been able to do any work for 6 weeks, well you know what I mean. Somebody with an MBA has ensured that CPUs are expensive.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've never worked anywhere like that Mich. You just pick bad clients... or perhaps it's the case that if it wasn't for safety-paranoid companies, you'd be out of a job!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                WRONG!

Sorry BP, but I have to fundamentally disagree with you there. CPUs SHOULD be cheaper than coders, but they aren't because adding a cpu involves making formal requests, countersigned by a director, to the bloated purchasing department, then having the request denied because you haven't filled in part III section b, subsection iv of the ISO9000 purchasing request form, which means you have to fill in a new form, get it countersigned by a director and approved by the compliance officer who's having a day off for his 'elf and safety course, then awaiting purchasing to send you confirmation, then waiting for the preferred supplier to deliver according to their SLA, which states that said CPU will be delivered within 6 weeks (in other words, in 6 weeks) of receipt of countersigned and compliance stamped order form. Then said CPU waits around in a mysterious postage holding centre known only to the purchasing people, and eventually, after nobody's been able to do any work for 6 weeks, well you know what I mean. Somebody with an MBA has ensured that CPUs are expensive.
                All fair comment. But don't you have to do the same thing for coders these days?

I am so pleased I am at a hedge fund these days. Walk round to see hardware purchaser. Chat about his fitness regime. Ask for what I want. Get it a couple of days later.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I've never worked anywhere like that Mich. You just pick bad clients... or perhaps it's the case that if it wasn't for safety-paranoid companies, you'd be out of a job!
                  No, I'm at a decent client now; it's not a huge company, just about 200 people so it isn't infected with manageritis just yet. I've been to a few crap ones though.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

One of my clients has shifted all the servers to linux - this means more money can be spent on the hardware, resulting in beefier machines. 50 million records loaded in a few minutes. That was quite impressive.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      One of my clients has shifted all the servers to linux - this means more money can be spent on the hardware, resulting in beefier machines. 50 million records loaded in a few minutes. That was quite impressive.
                      A little secret, Windows or Linux, if you're using Intel Processors you're still going to hit latency issues...

Comment

Working...
                      X