• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When will they learn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    I believe that's true for DV roles but it definitely isn't true for SC.

I was at a large government organisation and they were getting foreign nationals British SC. I was talking to one of the bobs over lunch and he told me he wasn't British and I told him he was it was just an identity thing. But then he explained to me he wasn't British at all and a failing project in a different government department was bailed out by getting foreign nationals UK SC which set the precedent.

This was the last time I worked in a government environment because I'd thought up to this the lower pay was made up by the fact that the work couldn't be offshored. Now I know better.
    But u need at least ILR* and most prefer Brit born...

*Google it....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I thought someone posted something about one of the big outsourcers having a govt contract that is mainly offshored and due to the setup the only option was to get the Indian guys SC cleared which was given the go ahead.
      I can't find it so maybe I am making that up but there is an interesting article here...

Security and offshore: taking a responsible approach - DCS

Upshot is they offshored some services and did some audits to make sure it was save and then offshored it. It doesn't mention any levels of security in detail but rather worrying little paragraphs such keep appearing such as...

To address this concern, the ministry conducted a stringent security audit focusing on aspects such as data security, physical and environmental security, system build and maintenance, personnel security and business continuity management. The process allowed the defense ministry to ensure the security of the project, while realizing the benefits of an offshore approach.
      Following a stringent security audit, Capgemini India was awarded security clearance to develop and test the ministry's ERP solutions offshore. The audit included the following aspects:
      All Capgemini India team members (onsite and offshore) are security cleared by the external verification agency appointed by the ministry. And though co-located, the project's LAN networks are separate from Capgemini's internal networks. In addition, system testing and the migration project will use real master data and be conducted onshore by defense ministry personnel.
      The upshot appears to be by doing a lot of diligence and being careful with what data is used they can bypass the need for SC process... or did anyone else read it differently.

Still sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. How long before we get a new bulletin telling us sensitive data was sent to be used on the offshore build by mistake.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's an entry-level graduate job, with scant technical requirements "preferred", paying roughly the average UK salary. Sounds fair to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
          It's amazing how many 'prestidgious' Government departments imagine that their reputation means they can get away with paying 50% less than the Private Sector. Unfortunately, the economic reality is that you don't get the best talent for the lowest salary, however exclusive you may feel your organisation to be.
          That's why (in the 90s ) they hired contractors at top rates.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            This just came through my mailbox.

And this is not to outsource to India. The client is GCHQ.
            £25k is not at all unusual oop north. Since they focus on the degree that makes me think this is for a young person maybe 1-2 years out of uni.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I thought someone posted something about one of the big outsourcers having a govt contract that is mainly offshored and due to the setup the only option was to get the Indian guys SC cleared which was given the go ahead.
              As it goes, I think the guy I worked with said it was either a Houses of Parliament or HMRC Capita project.

Comment

Working...
              X