• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F1 - Hamilton has joined Mercedes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    How much of this is marketing the Hamilton brand?
    McLaren are very restrictive in what their contracts allow in respect to outside sponsorship so I would imagine we will see a lot more of the brand after the move
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      McLaren are very restrictive in what their contracts allow in respect to outside sponsorship so I would imagine we will see a lot more of the brand after the move
      Absolutely. I think they are allowed one sponsor at Mclaren, but whatever they want at Merc, to a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Be aware also, that Mclaren have to pay for their engines soon, which is shown in taking on the pay driver (Perez) instead of someone who is quick, but doesn't bring money.
        I think that's an unfair description of Perez these days. Yes he's a pay driver, but he's bloody quick too and a rising star of the circuit as he can do it without crashing into others at the same time.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I think that's an unfair description of Perez these days. Yes he's a pay driver, but he's bloody quick too and a rising star of the circuit as he can do it without crashing into others at the same time.
          Yes, I know that, he and Maldonado are very quick, but are still pay drivers, and I was wondering, aloud, if that's the reason Perez got the gig and not someone else. Perez is bankrolled by TelMex, the largest Telco in South America and, for me, it's fairly obvious why they have gone for Perez, for their sponsorship with Vodafone expires at the end of the year.

A little part of me thinks this has been planned all along, as Vodafone were title sponsors, and it's well known they were leaving...

It's actually interesting, for Button has been absolutely dominated this year by Hamilton, and I rate Perez, so it could be Perez unsettling Button next year, as such.

Comment

Teams like McLaren don't need pay drivers. He's shown a lot of talent.

Oh well, looks like next season will be interesting although is this when we get the stupid engines that don't make any noise?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Teams like McLaren don't need pay drivers. He's shown a lot of talent.

Oh well, looks like next season will be interesting although is this when we get the stupid engines that don't make any noise?
              V6 Turbos revving to 15,000rpm being stupid engines that don't make any noise? You've not been an F1 fan for long have you? Prost and Senna won 3 championships in them, Piquet 3 and Mansell nearly won 2. Watch Gerhard Berger on youtu.be in a turbo'd BMW to see what a handful they used to be.

As for not needing pay drivers, I refer to the above about Vodafone and Telmex, paying for their own engines, and, what I forgot, is the road car division being 75% down on sales. This does smell a little of being mainly a commercial affair to me. I've not said he lacks talent, but what got him here, is money, and what I believe the Mclaren deal about, is also partially money. But yes, he has been fairly quick on occasion.

Comment

Yes, I know that, he and Maldonado are very quick, but are still pay drivers, and I was wondering, aloud, if that's the reason Perez got the gig and not someone else. Perez is bankrolled by TelMex, the largest Telco in South America and, for me, it's fairly obvious why they have gone for Perez, for their sponsorship with Vodafone expires at the end of the year.
                That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I've always thought having two British drivers (or in fact two drivers of the same nationality whatever it is) must have been a problem, sponsorship wise.

There's no question Perez deserves a drive with a top team though.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

A little part of me thinks this has been planned all along, as Vodafone were title sponsors, and it's well known they were leaving...

It's actually interesting, for Button has been absolutely dominated this year by Hamilton, and I rate Perez, so it could be Perez unsettling Button next year, as such.
                  Fair enough, your reasoning is sound. And I would imagine that Button was privately irritated by the recruitment of Perez who might well be able to match him in the same car.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Fair enough, your reasoning is sound. And I would imagine that Button was privately irritated by the recruitment of Perez who might well be able to match him in the same car.
                    I can see that too. I think he'll have his handsfull with a very, very motivated Perez.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I've always thought having two British drivers (or in fact two drivers of the same nationality whatever it is) must have been a problem, sponsorship wise.
                      It's a shame for the UK audience though, two English world champions in a top team which is also British or very British-biased is pretty much a dream come true.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X