• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain OMG!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Fat boy is winding you lot up, I stopped reading when he said stir the gene pool down here. Oh, he's a wag isn't he.

Couple of dampners thought, is how the oil revenues will be spilt; will it be like the geneva convention: a median line - 90% to the sweaties, or will it be done on populace, which indicates 9%? Will D-Cam starting pissing about with the boundaries again?

Will Scotland be liable for part of the UK Deficit, and the bail out of the Scottish banks. If the answer is yes, the Debt liability would be £80bn on public debt, and £100bn on bank bail outs. So they'd start with a deficit of, lets give them a net £60bn from the oil, of £120bn, way, way, way over their GDP.

Whats the borrowing status going to be for Alex then? Junk?

As for a highly skilled an educated populace: how come the IT boards are full of jobs in Scotland they can't fill? How come Aberdeen is not full of Jocks plundering the oil industry...

1/10 Fat boy

Comment

It's kicking off in Greece & Spain

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

The Spanish Police are quite discusting

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I think Fat boy is winding you lot up, I stopped reading when he said stir the gene pool down here. Oh, he's a wag isn't he.

Couple of dampners thought, is how the oil revenues will be spilt; will it be like the geneva convention: a median line - 90% to the sweaties, or will it be done on populace, which indicates 9%? Will D-Cam starting pissing about with the boundaries again?

Will Scotland be liable for part of the UK Deficit, and the bail out of the Scottish banks. If the answer is yes, the Debt liability would be £80bn on public debt, and £100bn on bank bail outs. So they'd start with a deficit of, lets give them a net £60bn from the oil, of £120bn, way, way, way over their GDP.

Whats the borrowing status going to be for Alex then? Junk?

As for a highly skilled an educated populace: how come the IT boards are full of jobs in Scotland they can't fill? How come Aberdeen is not full of Jocks plundering the oil industry...

1/10 Fat boy
          It is less than logical to start talking about an independent Scotland having 9% of the oil resources but 100% of the bailout costs for nominally Scottish banks.

A more rational way of looking at it would be a split that puts both Scotland and the rest of the UK in the same position as before, but leaves them free to go their own way in the future. But 9% of all resources and 9% of all debts would be OK.

BTW what's this about the IT boards in Scotland being full of jobs they can't fill? I fly from Scotland to mainland Europe every week to work because I have to, and if you could point me at some good opportunities locally I'd be delighted. Provided they're not looking for a PhD and 20 years experience in 25 different skills all used in the last 6 months on exactly the same type of applications, for just above minimum wage.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            It is less than logical to start talking about an independent Scotland having 9% of the oil resources but 100% of the bailout costs for nominally Scottish banks.

A more rational way of looking at it would be a split that puts both Scotland and the rest of the UK in the same position as before, but leaves them free to go their own way in the future. But 9% of all resources and 9% of all debts would be OK.

BTW what's this about the IT boards in Scotland being full of jobs they can't fill? I fly from Scotland to mainland Europe every week to work because I have to, and if you could point me at some good opportunities locally I'd be delighted. Provided they're not looking for a PhD and 20 years experience in 25 different skills all used in the last 6 months on exactly the same type of applications, for just above minimum wage.
            Phone Atlas, and there are plenty of jobs in Aberdeen I have been chased about.

As for the bailout, £100bn is about 9% of the costs of the bank bailout, then you have the structured deficit, which is about £80bn at 9%

Nothing wrong there

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Phone Atlas, and there are plenty of jobs in Aberdeen I have been chased about.

As for the bailout, £100bn is about 9% of the costs of the bank bailout, then you have the structured deficit, which is about £80bn at 9%

Nothing wrong there
              Thanks.

My point about a pro rata share is that it's neutral with respect to independence, i.e. your £100bn bank bailout plus £80bn structured deficit that would land on Scotland if it tokk independence on those terms, is exactly the trouble that Scotland is already in by virtue of being part of the Union. There are some (not your good self I presume) who spread FUD by implying that an independent Scotland's share of the UK's debt would be a burden more crushing than being inside the Union already is.

Although it does raise the interesting question of what it means exactly, to leave a union. Those who have divorced may appreciate that it may not be simple.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                Thanks.

My point about a pro rata share is that it's neutral with respect to independence, i.e. your £100bn bank bailout plus £80bn structured deficit that would land on Scotland if it tokk independence on those terms, is exactly the trouble that Scotland is already in by virtue of being part of the Union. There are some (not your good self I presume) who spread FUD by implying that an independent Scotland's share of the UK's debt would be a burden more crushing than being inside the Union already is.

Although it does raise the interesting question of what it means exactly, to leave a union. Those who have divorced may appreciate that it may not be simple.
                Czechoslovakia did it the civilised way with a 2:1 split between the two new states. Dissolution of Czechoslovakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if an independent Scotland wanted a similar approach, would it be taking on 8 to 9% of responsibilities for British overseas territories etc.? The rump UK would I think claim to be the successor state so the whole thing might not be as simple as Czechoslovakia.

And any plan to keep sterling is crazy.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  Czechoslovakia did it the civilised way with a 2:1 split between the two new states. Dissolution of Czechoslovakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if an independent Scotland wanted a similar approach, would it be taking on 8 to 9% of responsibilities for British overseas territories etc.? The rump UK would I think claim to be the successor state so the whole thing might not be as simple as Czechoslovakia.

And any plan to keep sterling is crazy.
                  But, with a debt ratio they'd inherit, they wouldn't be able to join the Euro.

You have to remember, two of the biggest banks to fail, were [the] RBOS and BOS, so simply giving them a ratio of the bank bailout debt based on a per capita basis, might not form the basis of any negotiations. I have read that the UK would not cede the marine environment according to the Geneva convention (which would give them 90% of oil revenue), but that they believe the UK would want it on a per capita basis too, based on the epic investment the UK have provided in the fields there. Some economists are predicting that the Barnett formula may also be used against an independent Scotland when negotiating the distribution of its assets i.e. that they receive more per capita then residents in England.

I think any devolution would take an awful long time to sort out and it's never going to be a simple matter even if the Scots say yes to it.

Comment

The separation alone will cause a massive amount of waste and probably put both countries into recession (or futher into it). Think of all the SHMRCs, the SDVLAs, Scottish Army, Scottish Embassies that would have to be formed. Basically billions will be spent cutting up a highly integrated state to make the remains less integrated. Scotland's biggest trade partner is England by a staggering margin, it would be stupid beyond belief to diminish that common market. You can throw around the "ohhh but we put in a few billion more than we got in this one year" all you like, but in the end those figures will be chicken feed compared to the disruptive impact, and they are chicken feed anyway... like 1 or 2% of the GDP of Scotland and 0.00X % of English GDP.

I genuinely believe the majority of support is from Scots that simply hate the English or Scots with a chip on their shoulder. All the other arguments like Trident, and the Illegal wars, or the deficit are just hand wringing. Most of the aforementioned things were perpetrated by the rather Scottish Labour cabinet backed fully by Scots anyway.

Comment

What an odd thread. Pictures of Spanish riots interspersed with discussions on Scottish independence.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X