• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Save the children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Africa if they stopped shooting each other blowing things up and spending all the Aid on new BMW's for the royalty they might have a chance.
    I don't think your average Joe in Africa really has much say in that.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      precisely, stop giving the Royalty money, destabilise their power base by providing work and facilities directly, with a little bit of luck they will been overthrown.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        precisely, stop giving the Royalty money, destabilise their power base by providing work and facilities directly, with a little bit of luck they will been overthrown.
        Exactly and if supermarket chains stopped buying up large swathes of their land to keep our shops filled with fruit and veg all year round they may have enough food. If the Indian government actually opened up their grain stores and used it to feed their children, things might be different.

But oh, people don't want polytunnels spoiling their views in this country, I forgot.

There is also a little matter of the culture where having so many kids because of the pitiful survival rate is a part of life. And death.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          They thought the same of the peasants in France and England. Look what happened.

Let Africa evolve, thank goodness no one meddled in our development thinking they knew better.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            UK child poverty: it shouldn't happen here | Save the Children UK

Just where exactly are their priorities? Looking after fat kids with roofs over their heads or this?

Poverty in Africa: Inside the Problem
            So do you think families in Africa should get state benefits? Or should they open supermarkets?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              So do you think families in Africa should get state benefits? Or should they open supermarkets?
              They should be recruitment agents
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

How much of the poverty is down to "lifestyle choices" or poor parenting
                Why does that matter? Children suffering because of terrible parents are still suffering.

And there are LOTS of families who don't fritter money on Sky or fags who can't pay for food and clothes for their kids. Just because you live in a middle-class bubble and never cross paths with them (why would you), doesn't mean they're not there.

Is it so hard to believe a benefits system which gives too much to some people would be flawed the other way at times?

This is what Food Banks are for, tbh I would be as ignorant to all this myself except our church has links to our local food bank and debt relief charities and we get to hear about the real people they help. They know a chancer when they see one, a mother who collapses in tears when given a couple of tins of beans is not a chancer.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They should be recruitment agents
                  Christ, they've barely any dignity now .....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Why does that matter? Children suffering because of terrible parents are still suffering.

And there are LOTS of families who don't fritter money on Sky or fags who can't pay for food and clothes for their kids. Just because you live in a middle-class bubble and never cross paths with them (why would you), doesn't mean they're not there.

Is it so hard to believe a benefits system which gives too much to some people would be flawed the other way at times?

This is what Food Banks are for, tbh I would be as ignorant to all this myself except our church has links to our local food bank and debt relief charities and we get to hear about the real people they help. They know a chancer when they see one, a mother who collapses in tears when given a couple of tins of beans is not a chancer.
                    I always hear alarm bells when I hear the patronising words "real people" But let us set that aside.

In the UK there is a welfare state that should be looking after kids whether it is or it isnt our kids are fed and have a roof over their heads, which is more than can said of kids in Africa. If a kid is ill then it can go down to the hospital and get treatment. My point is not to say we have no problems - we most certainly do- but that the problems our kids suffer are irrelevant compared to the problems that kids in Africa face.

Agai I will say it. yes it may help these kids if save the children get involved but surely their priorities - given that they do not have endless resources why on earth are they not giving the starving, homeless and disease ridden kids of Africa their full attention? Why now are they getting involved. If there are children suffering from poverty now there were also children suffering from the same poverty 5 years ago.

I am sorry to be cynical but what they are doing in the UK is entirely politically motivated.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

"should be" being the important phrase here. A far lower % of our kids are in real trouble than in Africa but there are still some around. It's more shocking it happens here where as you say, we have far better infrastructure in place (even with its flaws).
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X