• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Save the children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    "should be" being the important phrase here. A far lower % of our kids are in real trouble than in Africa but there are still some around. It's more shocking it happens here where as you say, we have far better infrastructure in place (even with its flaws).
    Fair enough but where are the kids that are starving in the UK. Those that are suffering do so because of parental abuse. So save the children's model Food kitchens, medical aid etc) is totally inappropriate for the problems that children face here in the UK.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

40 years ago, there was poverty in this country.

nowadays if a kid goes hungry it's because of bad care.

we have laws and agencies to sort out bad care. let them do their job

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Agai I will say it. yes it may help these kids if save the children get involved but surely their priorities - given that they do not have endless resources why on earth are they not giving the starving, homeless and disease ridden kids of Africa their full attention? Why now are they getting involved. If there are children suffering from poverty now there were also children suffering from the same poverty 5 years ago.

I am sorry to be cynical but what they are doing in the UK is entirely politically motivated.
        The government use to finance charities in the UK to do social work for them as charities do it cheaper by using lots of volunteers than goverment departments and local government can.

The government has cut the money it gives to charities directly and indirectly through local councils, so now you will hear of all charities serving all aspects of the UK community asking for donations to help people in the UK.

For example many areas have mini-buses to take old people out to go shopping or to a day centre once a week. These mini-buses were driven by volunteers but the fuel and bus rental was paid for by government money. Now the funding for these have been cut so the buses don't run.

The old people who use these buses are the type of old people who can bearly do anything on their own and also don't have anyone to help them so sit isolated at home.

So next time you volunteer ( if you do) find out where the majority of the funding comes from you will be surprised.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 6 September 2012, 20:01.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          40 years ago, there was poverty in this country.

nowadays if a kid goes hungry it's because of bad care.

we have laws and agencies to sort out bad care. let them do their job

Social workers ignore all but the worse cases.

No one with any sense stays as a social worker as it's sh*t work hence there is a shortage and those who remain have a large case load.

BTW I know some ex-social workers and 2 current ones. The current ones do their best to talk anyone out of doing the job. They are still in it because every few years they go off and do something else.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My wife worked in an inner-city school a few years ago. They had to cope with kids coming to school in wet clothes - the uniform was their only decent set of clothes and if it didn't dry in time... kids coming to school have had no breakfast because the parents (feckless or otherwise) didn't have money to buy bread. There's not as much poverty in the UK as in Africa - that's obvious. And it shouldn't exist at all... but it does, and that where charities stand in the gap.

Oh - and it was Save The Children UK that provided my wife and her family with furniture and clothes when they arrived in the UK in 1980.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Social workers ignore all but the worse cases.

No one with any sense stays as a social worker as it's sh*t work hence there is a shortage and those who remain have a large case load.

BTW I know some ex-social workers and 2 current ones. The current ones do their best to talk anyone out of doing the job. They are still in it because every few years they go off and do something else.
              you miss the point.

dont use anti poverty tactics to attack poor care.
              sort out the social aspect.

we dont have poverty here any more.

in other parts of the world, it's different.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

As I said you will probably find that most issues come down to being unable to claim the correct benefits or spend the resulting money wisely.

If there are holes in Benefits lets see save the children document them and ask for funds to lobby for them to be changed.

If education is needed let them suggest that is the problem.

but don't expect us to believe poverty stalks the UK in the same way it does in Africa. We have the will as a people to eradicate it, in Africa the people don't have that luxury.

I watched this last night, fascinating but clearly a way charities can help people

BBC Four - The Toilet: An Unspoken History

the takeaway from this was that to provide safe & effective sanitation for 10 + people in the third world costs £17. 1.5million children die of dysentery every year. now where do you think the millions they spent on those adverts could have been better spent?

Combine this with the probable political angle of supporting labour by attacking 'coalition cuts' I for one am not impressed.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Charity still works on business principles... spend money on advertising to bring in more money.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X