• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems prove once again they are not fit to govern

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Indeed. Unfortunately in this case they didn't and the entire economy of the town was decimated as a result.
    Just because one branch of a bank closed?

Plan B anyone?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Interesting you should mention Rolls Royce in the context of this discussion.
      You do realise that one of their key products, the Trent jet engine, is only in existence today because of government handouts?
      But I'm sure you and your fellow moron, Robby the fool, will ignore this piece of evidence that non-free-market intervention is a good thing sometimes
      who exactly arguing that "non free market intervention" is not a good thing? I am not quite sure what your point is.
      Last edited by DodgyAgent; 3 September 2012, 14:49.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        Ideally if we had a static money supply and market set interest rates then the real test of whether something is profitable or not could be measured by comparing how much you'd get if you simply liquidated the branch and stuck the money in the bank (another bank) and took the interest. If you get more by liquidating and creaming the interest, it suggests that the whatever is an inefficient way to utilise the finite resources of the country.

Sadly we don't have those 2 things so it's anyone's guess really.
        Er, no. That isn't what "profitable" means either. Good luck with that economics GCSE. An "E" is still a pass
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Just because one branch of a bank closed?
          Did you read the original post or are you simply butting in without any idea what is going on like you usually do?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Did you read the original post or are you simply butting in without any idea what is going on like you usually do?
            You mean the post about Nick Clegg or some meaningless irrelevant non point made by you somewhere in the thread?

Comment

Er, no. That isn't what "profitable" means either. Good luck with that economics GCSE. An "E" is still a pass
              Originally posted by wikipedia
              In neoclassical microeconomic theory, the term profit has two related but distinct meanings. Normal profit represents the total opportunity costs (both explicit and implicit) of a venture to an investor, whilst economic profit (also abnormal, pure, supernormal or excess profit, as the case may be monopoly or oligopoly profit) is, at least in the neoclassical microeconomic theory which dominates modern economics, the difference between a firm's total revenue and all costs (including normal profit).[1] A related concept, sometimes considered synonymous in certain contexts, is that of economic rent.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                You mean the post about Nick Clegg or some meaningless irrelevant non point made by you somewhere in the thread?
                Nope. I mean the post about the bank branch closing (nothing to do with me) that you clearly haven't read.

Comment

That's a definition of "normal profit" which is a technical term that has no bearing on what what "profitable" or "unprofitable" means, but well done for figuring out how to use google by yourself.

Comment

That's a definition of "normal profit" which is a technical term that has no bearing on what what "profitable" or "unprofitable" means, but well done for figuring out how to use google by yourself.
                    You were the one who started getting arsey about the definition of profitable. Maybe you were the one who should have googled it and not me.

If there are different types of profit then the word profitable and unprofitable can apply to them all.

It's all irrelevant though, i don't claim to know all the terminology. What i have stated so far is completely logically though and the fact that you can only argue about semantics that you don't even know yourself speaks volumes.

Comment

You were the one who started getting arsey about the definition of profitable. Maybe you were the one who should have googled it and not me.

If there are different types of profit then the word profitable and unprofitable can apply to them all.

It's all irrelevant though, i don't claim to know all the terminology. What i have stated so far is completely logically though and the fact that you can only argue about semantics that you don't even know yourself speaks volumes.
                      Oh dear ******* god. I give up. Yes you are right. If my business makes a profit, but not enough to keep me interested, then it's unprofitable. That's what unprofitable means and all the dictionarys in all the world are wrong. Do you want to write the letter to the OED or shall I?

Originally posted by The same article you quoted but failed to actually read
                      Profit is not synonymous with the concepts of profitability and the profit motive.

Comment

Working...
                      X