• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it morally wrong to accept or do cash in hand work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently it's quite difficult to draft tax law so that it doesn't fall foul of laws against demanding money with menaces.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      She HUGELY simplified the tax system - .
      God Bless er then - sorry Maggie for doubting you
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Apparently it's quite difficult to draft tax law so that it doesn't fall foul of laws against demanding money with menaces.
        explains why HMRC have got so aggressive, New Lie were all lawyers who thought they knew what they were doing, I look forward to the prosecution.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Love you long time honey. That will be £50.

Can I pay by cheque and have a VAT receipt?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Is it morally (or indeed legally) wrong to buy something you know or at least reasonably suspect is stolen? After all, it's none of your business how the seller came by the goods.
            But the goods have to be stolen first. At the point where I hand him the money everything is legal. Is Her Majesty's currency now viewed in the same light at hooky tobacco and drugs??
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

We pay our cleaners with cash. What are we supposed to do? Put them on PAYE?

What an utter numpty.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                We pay our cleaners with cash. What are we supposed to do? Put them on PAYE?

What an utter numpty.
                Same here as well as the gardener, the window cleaner, taxi drivers...

I don't care what they do with the money I give them, I have an accountant to sort out my finances and that means I can sleep at night. Even the money I make from music has to be declared although I've never been pulled up about all the dosh I made busking in Sauchiehall Street.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Same here as well as the gardener, the window cleaner, taxi drivers...

I don't care what they do with the money I give them, I have an accountant to sort out my finances and that means I can sleep at night. Even the money I make from music has to be declared although I've never been pulled up about all the dosh I made busking in Sauchiehall Street.
                  Tax cheat!!! Tax cheat!!! Burn Him!!!!

AtW
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Tax cheat!!! Tax cheat!!! Burn Him!!!!

AtW
                    When I was playing music full time I used to busk as a way of rehearsing new tunes, I could do that at home or on the street earning a very good rate. Come to think of it my hourly rate in those days was similar to the first lucrative contract roles I had.

Anyways, most of the other guys busking were on the dole so I'm playing to a crowd when this weedy wee guy with an HMRC leather sachel pushes to the front, produces a camera and takes a photo then sprints off up the street. Obviously trying to catch out the buskers signing on by circulating pics of buskers around the dole offices, haven't seen anyone so nervous and talking to the other guys over the weeks they all had a similar experience but were never pulled up, probably camera shake
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                      We pay our cleaners with cash. What are we supposed to do? Put them on PAYE?...
                      That's the way it works in Switzerland - unless you're registered self-employed. There's plenty of cash-in-hand workers of course, but the risk is on both the worker and the hirer. If they're not registered, you are responsible for their tax and insurance.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X