• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it morally wrong to accept or do cash in hand work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How else is one supposed to pay a prostitute?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Loyalty card?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        No - it's none of my business how the tradesman runs his accounts. I'm not his mother...
        +1
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Loyalty card?
          Not sure her pimp will be too happy.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            No - it's none of my business how the tradesman runs his accounts. I'm not his mother...
            Is it morally (or indeed legally) wrong to buy something you know or at least reasonably suspect is stolen? After all, it's none of your business how the seller came by the goods.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Is it morally (or indeed legally) wrong to buy something you know or at least reasonably suspect is stolen? After all, it's none of your business how the seller came by the goods.
              A quick search found an ebay thread on this:

"Receiving stolen goods is generally buying or acquiring the possession of property knowing (or believing in some jurisdictions) that it had been obtained through theft, embezzlement, larceny, or extortion by someone else. The crime is separate from the crime of stealing the property. To be convicted, the receiver must know the goods were stolen at the time he receives them and had the intent to aid the thief. Paying for the goods or intending to collect the reward for returning them are not defenses. Depending on the value of the property received, receiving-stolen-property is either a misdemeanor or a felony..."

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Well handling of stolen goods is another thing all together. But if it fell of the back of a lorry thats OK.

When I had the shops a few years back and was working FT, I landed up paying over £100k in Corp Tax/Tax/Rates and that excluded the £40k or so in VAT. All that money going through my hands and I've got to pass it on! Wow thanks.

Morally wrong my arse.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I personally think tradesmen have had an easy ride for years, making money on the side and not declaring or only declaring part of their true earning. I have a neighbour back home who throughout the summer makes a shedload of cash doing work all over the summer building, plastering or painting and decorating yet his family get a fair wedge of money from the government as he claims he earns less than 15k a year. When in reality in his day job his boss agreed to make his salary look low and pay him the rest in cash.

Where's the justice in that? everyone else has to pay their taxes and what's more the government think it's fine to chase contractors and introduce stupid legislation to make it awkward for us. Rant over
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Is the slot at the front not for swiping your credit card then ???

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

In kind.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X