• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tools do you carry in your car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    And a shovel?
    Now why would I need one of those?

Rope for a tow if needed.

Gaffa tape to patch up damaged bodywork so it's driveable.

Carpet to put down so I dont get my suit dirty kneeling down to change a wheel.

What did you think they were for?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      RAC to get the car fixed, then AA to prevent the tragedy of breaking down becoming an excuse to turn to drink.
      You can take the girl out of Glasgow, but not Glasgow out of the girl!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Now why would I need one of those?

Rope for a tow if needed.

Gaffa tape to patch up damaged bodywork so it's driveable.

Carpet to put down so I dont get my suit dirty kneeling down to change a wheel.

What did you think they were for?
        I thought the shovel would be handy in the snow

Comment

I drive a GL420, so I carry a picnic blanket, hamper and guns. MF has more chance of being as rich and clever as he keeps telling us than it will break down.

In the motorhome, a very full tool kit, including ax, fishing gear, crayfish nets, dremel and multiple attachments. It's always nice to be able to fettle tulip. I was caught in a long jam on the M6 the other day, so just popped in the back, made a cup of tea, and a sandwich and did my ablutions. Wonderful things motorhomes...

The wife's car is covered by RAC and I don't like to travel in it, as ferrying 3 kids around all day, things are growing in it, I am sure there is a mouse in there somewhere, and it smells, of something I can't truly describe, and don't like to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
            I know how to change my tyre, and that's about it.

For tools, I carry a jack, a tyre iron, a boiler suit and some trainers. Changing a tyre is no fun in heels, I can tell you. Oh, and a beenie hat to stuff my hair in (to minimise the constant stream of guys screeching to a halt on a motorway that don't know how to change a tyre themselves, but for some reason imagine that I need/want their unsolicited advice and/or company whilst I am doing so).
            Wow that's impressive, most people would just change the wheel. Infact, I've never seen anyone change a tyre at the side of the road. You wouldn't be telling lies on CUK would you?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I thought the shovel would be handy in the snow
              Carpet does double duty as snow/mud mat
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I carry the locking wheel nut adaptor, jack and wrench but other than that I have no need for tools as I drive Japanese.
                WHS. My Accord feels like its been hewn out of a block of steel and I honestly can't see it breaking down even in 10 years time.
                You mugs who bought German better have multiple breakdown cover
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                  Wow that's impressive, most people would just change the wheel. Infact, I've never seen anyone change a tyre at the side of the road. You wouldn't be telling lies on CUK would you?
                  I personally enjoyed the tyre iron comment. Yes, that's what we do in 21st century Britain, we carry spare tyres, break the bead and change them in emergency situations. Love to see anyone break the bead of a modern car without the correct tools....

Very good.

Comment

Last time I required breakdown assistance, I'd blown one of the turbos. Car was taken to a garage near home, I drove a hire car (paid for my insurance) until my car was fixed.

I carry snow-chains and blanket (in winter), otherwise just warning triangle, hivis jacket, bulbs and fuses and the foam for temporary puncture repair. Oh, and a tangle of bungies.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I assume my learned colleague means the accouterments required to release the nuts on the wheel, sometimes called a tyre iron, sometimes called a spider, sometimes called a torque wrench for those who prefer power assistance!
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X