• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tools do you carry in your car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Decades ago, before all the complexity of engine management, assisted steering, ABS brakes, pollution controls etc etc I used to do all my own repairs and servicing - like replacing clutches, brake parts, head gaskets or valves. I would carry a huge toolkit around to cope with the frequent breakdowns due to the general unreliability of vehicles in those days or arising from my own crappy repairs. (I recall once I drove about 50 miles after replacing the valves and all the valve cotters fell out.)

By force of habit I still carry a huge toolbox around but I don't suppose I could do anything nowadays except change a wheel or call the RAC, modern vehicles are too complex and cramped. Is there a guide somewhere to what sort of simple faults a modern vehicles is most likely to suffer from that are amenable to amateur roadside repairs or shall I just ditch the lot apart from the jack and wheelbrace?

What do you lot do?

Bulbs, WD40, Duck Tape, crow bar, hammer, hose, diesel hand primmer, spanners, hydrolic jack, puncture repair kit.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I once had a load of tools nicked from the boot of my car.

Now I just carry enough to change tyres and top up fliuds, otherwise it's the rescue services.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I once had a load of tools nicked from the boot of my car.

Now I just carry enough to change tyres and top up fliuds, otherwise it's the rescue services.
        Z4 has RFT's fitted so carry nothing at all in that except the BMW toolkit.

Daily drive E46 has spare, jack, litre of oil, couple of spare bulbs.

Wife's Zafira has litre of oil, spare tyre and jack.

All 3 cars covered by breakdown so dont see the need for anything else.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I carry the locking wheel nut adaptor, jack and wrench but other than that I have no need for tools as I drive Japanese.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I carry the locking wheel nut adaptor, jack and wrench but other than that I have no need for tools as I drive Japanese.
            WHS

last time I called for the breakdown cover I had filled my diesel full of petrol

Time before was a flat battery after I spent 2 hours waiting for the missus whilst listening to the radio and I'd left the lights on

Time before that was 8 years ago and I was driving a banger which blew up on me!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

The golf clubs
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                It's the old PAYG, which is real PAYG, not the modern nothing of the sort pay every month or you lose it PAYG.
                Do they still honour that old Cellnet credit?

Its just the AA card in the car for me although I should probably keep some strong tape in there too so that I can tape the damage up and drive on after minor prangs.

Comment

Rope, gaffer tape, roll of carpet.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Rope, gaffer tape, roll of carpet.
                    And a shovel?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                      Do they still honour that old Cellnet credit?

Its just the AA card in the car for me although I should probably keep some strong tape in there too so that I can tape the damage up and drive on after minor prangs.
                      Yes, gaffa tape could be a useful addition.

Comment

Working...
                      X