• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

would the last freelance contractor in the uk please put the lights out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Blame the organ grinder not the monkeys. This is all down to the govt and weak ass Cameron not standing up to the squib dems
    Hang on I thought that the Squibs were actually the only party of the three to remain committed to the abolition of IR35?

I think AtW may have alluded to the true meaning of this when he points out the wording of the phrase. But as usual this government risks causing more ripples than needed with piss poor media control.

However if they do take this across the board then they will finally understand the reliance on flexible experience.

Comment

I think the latest stance from the Lib Dems on IR35 is that they want to suspend it, with a view to permanent abolition when they will replace it with something "better".

It's the final part which is the kicker. It's a bit like saying you want to ban execution by hanging - but only once you have introduced execution by firing squad.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Only a mental would take a public sector contract. I had one once and swore never again.
        wdds

Any 'freelancer' who can spend more than 6 months in the public sector without the assistance of a psychiatrist and a daily bucket of prozac has more important things to worry about than IR35, like where to get a cheap lobotomy.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          I wonder if HMRC know how many of the guys on aspire are freelance... Probably not they are incompetent ******* morons.
          The answer would be 'lots' and 'lots'. 40% freelance doing 80% of the work.

Comment

WEveryoneS

It's my experience of the NHS that everyone looks to the contractors as they seem to be the only ones capable of making a decision (about anything) without a committee of 15 to back them up.

Lord knows how they'll find the courage to make a decision on their own.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              WEveryoneS

It's my experience of the NHS that everyone looks to the contractors as they seem to be the only ones capable of making a decision (about anything) without a committee of 15 to back them up.

Lord knows how they'll find the courage to make a decision on their own.
              This is so very, very true.

In TfL, I had a rolling one month contract, but had nothing to do. No one had the stones to say let him go, just in case, in the slightest minutest chance, I was needed the following month and they would be named as the one who let me go. It was madness. I left after 2 years thinking I'd be there for life if I wasn't careful. Drove me insane, but I became very good at Python and C# thanks to them funding it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                "Civil servants working on contracts of more than six months or earning more than £220 a day will be paid as employees as part of efforts to stamp out tax avoidance in government departments."

This can be very important qualification because not every contractor working for public sector is a civil servant.
                Quite. I was under the impression that most contractors working on public sector projects were contracted to some 3rd party supplier so surely this wouldn't apply.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  I think the latest stance from the Lib Dems on IR35 is that they want to suspend it, with a view to permanent abolition when they will replace it with something "better".

It's the final part which is the kicker. It's a bit like saying you want to ban execution by hanging - but only once you have introduced execution by firing squad.
                  every party thats in opposition or with little power seems to scream the "vote for us, we'll get rid of ir35" soon changes once they get in the hot seat.

Comment

I'm currently in a central government gig. Team of 20, 3 permie civil servants, the rest contractors. If they applied that rule tomorrow the entire (extremely high profile) project would die on it's arse.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      I'm currently in a central government gig. Team of 20, 3 permie civil servants, the rest contractors. If they applied that rule tomorrow the entire (extremely high profile) project would die on it's arse.
                      But how many would walk if you were all called into a 'meeting', Dave?
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X