• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob Diamond forgoes bonus as Barclays fined for Libor manipulation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If banks want to save money why would not they move their head offices up north?
    Because if you are a rich executive you would not want to live North of Regents Park
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      Is no-one else thinking - buying opportunity. Itching to kick some cash at this short-term blip.
      Oh yeah, morally outraged too of course...
      No, not me. I used to be cynical enough, but I'm so disgusted by what I've seen over the last 5 years or so, and not only from the banks, that I can't view it that way any more. I have some values and I'm not going to trade them in for a few pounds more.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Because if you are a rich executive you would not want to live North of Regents Park
        Executive without a well paid job would not be so rich.

Perhaps extra income tax band specifically for London will motivate such move.

Comment

Barclays fined £290m for trying to manipulate Libor
          • Bob Diamond, chief executive, facing calls to resign
          • Barclays ex-boss: bank must repair "systematic dishonesty"
          • Cameron: Barclays has "serious questions to answer"
          • Osborne: scandal a "shocking indictment" of banks
          • Ed Miliband calls for "strongest punishment"

Barclays Libor scandal: live - Telegraph

Carr is pleased the attention has shifted, ironicall Barclays are allegedly creative with taxes they pay

Comment

Executive without a well paid job would not be so rich.

Perhaps extra income tax band specifically for London will motivate such move.
            Which is fine until you realise how the tax is spent. Better spent on yachts and cars than spent by govt. I still do not understand this innate attitude to tax that it is something of a duty to pay it and as a punishment.
            A better idea would be to turn areas of deprivation into no tax at all zones. If you run a business and live there all revenues are either dropped or dramatically reduced.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

A better idea would be to turn areas of deprivation into no tax at all zones. If you run a business and live there all revenues are either dropped or dramatically reduced.
              Already been done. It's called Canary Wharf
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Comment

I still do not understand this innate attitude to tax that it is something of a duty to pay it and as a punishment.
                  It certainly is a legal obligation and also moral duty.

I am all for big reduction in taxes for all - not just those who think they can afford big lawyers to justify unjustifiable.

Having lower tax in deprived areas is correct idea however cretins in the Govt don't want to implement it propertly, say Osborne tried two things so far:

1) NIC holidays for firms in deprived areas - TOTAL FAIL because they only made it for newly formed companies from the moment of announcement

2) Enterprise zones - some relief in business rates, TOTAL FAIL so far, it's been over year since they announced it without specifics: out of academic interest I was asking some people around for details to find out exactly how this time they find way NOT to give tax breaks, turns out that only new buildings in those areas will have such tax benefits

I do not believe for a moment Osborne is that dumb not to know that his proposals would be totally crippled by Treasury: his public policy in this respect is therefore an utter cynical lie.

Conclusion - Osborne is a twat of the highest order. Coward too - sending junior lady minister to explain his own cowardly decision.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It certainly is a legal obligation and also moral duty.

I am all for big reduction in taxes for all - not just those who think they can afford big lawyers to justify unjustifiable.

Having lower tax in deprived areas is correct idea however cretins in the Govt don't want to implement it propertly, say Osborne tried two things so far:

1) NIC holidays for firms in deprived areas - TOTAL FAIL because they only made it for newly formed companies from the moment of announcement

2) Enterprise zones - some relief in business rates, TOTAL FAIL so far, it's been over year since they announced it without specifics: out of academic interest I was asking some people around for details to find out exactly how this time they find way NOT to give tax breaks, turns out that only new buildings in those areas will have such tax benefits

I do not believe for a moment Osborne is that dumb not to know that his proposals would be totally crippled by Treasury: his public policy in this respect is therefore an utter cynical lie.

Conclusion - Osborne is a twat of the highest order. Coward too - sending junior lady minister to explain his own cowardly decision.
                      There you go. the trouble is that this is how people like you regard tax. tax should be regarded as an efficient way of redistributing wealth to benefit those who have little or no money. It is instead regarded as punishment and therefore few care about how it is really spent. I do not think taxes should be cut, I simply think that tax should be used to provide better services than can be offered by the private sector.

Comment

Working...
                      X