• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving an existing contract for new one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That may be so but the Wipros of this world just replace those that leave so the moronic client gets the appearance of continuity.
    FTFY
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by topoftheworld View Post
      I want to leave, but want to do some damage control so that it's doesn't look very unprofessional and convince the current employer is that I am leaving for justifiable (on my part) reasons.
      You are gonna have to get over this. Leaving your client in the lurch a month in to a contract is going to be very difficult to salvage in most cases. Stop worrying about it. Whatever happens happens. He isn't going to be pleased at best (unless he is glad to be rid). Sounds more like you are trying to justify it to yourself than your client.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        FTFY
        So clients should do business on your terms and not theirs? No wonder contractor rates have remained stagnant for so long and the earnings of the Indian outsourcing companies have gone sky high.

The difference being that the Bobs understand what the clients want whereas you do not.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

So clients should do business on your terms and not theirs? No wonder contractor rates have remained stagnant for so long and the earnings of the Indian outsourcing companies have gone sky high.

The difference being that the Bobs understand what the clients want whereas you do not.
          I am not trying to say Client should do business on my terms. Leaving/terminating a contract work both ways.

For example, If there is no budget, client will not hestitate to serve notice to contract or cut rate. They will not keep contractors if they can't, just becuase it is unprofessional to do so.

northernladuk,

You are right. I am justifying this to myself more than I am doing to the Client. I have to take the best decision for myself, not the Client.

In previous contracts, I have always been renewed multiple times (longest contract is about 4.5 years with one client) and I think I have a reasonable reputation in the market as well (I do tend to get multiple offers when I look for new roles).

This contract that I am in was through my personal contacts (ex-colleagues) and there is no agency in between. This is why it is even more morally difficult for me.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            <Dr.Phil>
            If you are in the running for a few roles and you don't wait but take the first role offered. You have to ask yourself why?
            Is your warchest too small?
            Is your skill-set not as good as you say?
            Is your confidence a bit low at the moment.
            Or did you just want to get into a role before it went quite for the summer.

Whatever the reason, you need to sort it out if you are making the wrong decision. But now that it is made you need to stick with it, and don't make the wrong decision next time.
            </Dr.Phil>
            I suppose it depends on your situation or skill, but as an architect there is no way I would turn down a lower paid role at the moment even with a six month war chest in the bag. In fact I am actively hoping that I get offered a contract this week that I would normally stay in bed to avoid. Just because I view 6 months on a pap rate as better than 3 months on a good one following a few months on the bench.

It doesn't help that I am in the middle of a house renovation that is eating cash as fast as I find it to spend...

Comment

I am not trying to say Client should do business on my terms. Leaving/terminating a contract work both ways.

For example, If there is no budget, client will not hestitate to serve notice to contract or cut rate. They will not keep contractors if they can't, just becuase it is unprofessional to do so.

northernladuk,

You are right. I am justifying this to myself more than I am doing to the Client. I have to take the best decision for myself, not the Client.

In previous contracts, I have always been renewed multiple times (longest contract is about 4.5 years with one client) and I think I have a reasonable reputation in the market as well (I do tend to get multiple offers when I look for new roles).

This contract that I am in was through my personal contacts (ex-colleagues) and there is no agency in between. This is why it is even more morally difficult for me.
              Your whole attitude which is quite typical of contractors is an adversarial one towards your clients. You seem to think that it is is an equal relationship despite the fact that it is the client that pays the money (forget the agents). In the service world of Asia the attitude is quite different, it is one of subservience to the needs of the client and it is this that is the reason that they have ripped the heart out of the contractor market.
              I am not condemning you for this because to be fair you are a one man freelancer that has to pay the Bills. You are not a Wipro with an agenda to flood your clients with Bobs and screw every penny you can out of them.
              You like many other contractors can probably afford (just) to take this attitude of yours but the facts remain which is that your rates have stagnated and Indian millionaires are aplenty.
              I think your major worry is letting down those who have recommended you - just remember it is a small world.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Everything else you've said is fair enough. I've just given notice to my existing client, so I'm off four weeks before the end of the original contract end date.

Your problem lies in your contract being through 'collegues'. Don't expect them to ever suggest your name again if an oppourtunity comes up.

Still, only you can decide what to do.

Comment

Your whole attitude which is quite typical of contractors is an adversarial one towards your clients. You seem to think that it is is an equal relationship despite the fact that it is the client that pays the money (forget the agents). In the service world of Asia the attitude is quite different, it is one of subservience to the needs of the client and it is this that is the reason that they have ripped the heart out of the contractor market.
                  I am not condemning you for this because to be fair you are a one man freelancer that has to pay the Bills. You are not a Wipro with an agenda to flood your clients with Bobs and screw every penny you can out of them.
                  You like many other contractors can probably afford (just) to take this attitude of yours but the facts remain which is that your rates have stagnated and Indian millionaires are aplenty.
                  I think your major worry is letting down those who have recommended you - just remember it is a small world.
                  You're getting sucked into a sockie fantasy.

Ask yourself why someone would register a user id in 2006 and wait 6 years before they make their first post.

Hth.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Ask yourself why someone would register a user id in 2006 and wait 6 years before they make their first post.

Hth.
                    He's been waiting for one of the mods to approve his first post.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Hth.
                      Hello SupremeSpod,

I registered 6 years ago and been on this forum on and off for past 6 years. This is a real situation and I really appreciate all the people who spent few minutes from their schedule with their thoughts (positive or negative).

I have nearly made up my mind and I am going to speak to my manager here and let him know my intention and hand over the notice subsequently.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X