• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving an existing contract for new one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topoftheworld View Post
    do you mean by "take the money" i.e. take the new contract?

I am very inclined to take the new contract, but not sure how I can leave my current contract with least damage. I am sure if I say I intend to leave, the client will probably be shocked. It may sound selfish and unprofessional, but I need make the decision by putting my requirements first (before client requirements).

It sounds unfair, I know. I am feeling as if I am morally obliged to finish my term here, at the same feeling as if I am going to lose a very opportunity for this moral dilemma.
    If you really want to walk and take the contract then play the old
    Under clause 3.x I intend to give notice, unforeseen circumstance beyond my control has happened (you dont have to explain and if someone asks just say "I'd rather not talk about it" - gives the impression something serious has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      That is all fine but Don't complain when IT projects get outsourced to the Bobs. Nowhere else does a business have such an opportunity to "opt out" of a commitment and move on to a better paid one elsewhere. I understand your motivation but it runs roughshod over what clients want.
      Laughable.

Bob retention rates are shocking.

Comment

do you mean by "take the money" i.e. take the new contract?

I am very inclined to take the new contract, but not sure how I can leave my current contract with least damage. I am sure if I say I intend to leave, the client will probably be shocked. It may sound selfish and unprofessional, but I need make the decision by putting my requirements first (before client requirements).

It sounds unfair, I know. I am feeling as if I am morally obliged to finish my term here, at the same feeling as if I am going to lose a very opportunity for this moral dilemma.
        It's like dumping someone for someone else. Do you want to stay friends after? If you want to jump. Jump. Just give invoke your notice.

Of course, like dumping someone, you may end up on your own or with some bunny boiler after you.

You could always make them dump you.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

<Dr.Phil>
          If you are in the running for a few roles and you don't wait but take the first role offered. You have to ask yourself why?
          Is your warchest too small?
          Is your skill-set not as good as you say?
          Is your confidence a bit low at the moment.
          Or did you just want to get into a role before it went quite for the summer.

Whatever the reason, you need to sort it out if you are making the wrong decision. But now that it is made you need to stick with it, and don't make the wrong decision next time.
          </Dr.Phil>
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

How many contracts do you have under your belt? You old timer or new to the scene?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would feel professional obligated to remain in contract, but at the same time life is short and you have to make the right decision for yourself.

Money is important, but don't let contract duration (on paper) fool you. A contract is only as long as the notice period. If the other contract gives you more exposure and new skills then maybe it is better to jump.

I wouldn't expect the current client to be happy, but you can't have everything. If you want to move on, just be honest and do it - but don't tell your current agent as he'll do his best to ruin your new contract opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Laughable.

Bob retention rates are shocking.
                That may be so but the Wipros of this world just replace those that leave so the client gets continuity.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I have been contracting for about 8 years.

I think I am being too emtional about leaving my current contract as it's only been a month in this 6 months contract.

I want to leave, but want to do some damage control so that it's doesn't look very unprofessional and convince the current employer is that I am leaving for justifiable (on my part) reasons.

Comment

Left before the end of a contract on 3 occasions. With everyone of them I still have a good relationship with client. One of the clients keeps calling me to go back and I have an interview with another one of them tomorrow. I can't imagine not burning bridges with this place when I leave but to be honest I think this is one bridge I wouldn't mind burning down....

Comment

I have been contracting for about 8 years.

I think I am being too emtional about leaving my current contract as it's only been a month in this 6 months contract.

I want to leave, but want to do some damage control so that it's doesn't look very unprofessional and convince the current employer is that I am leaving for justifiable (on my part) reasons.
                      Why do you care? You'll never see or hear from them again.

I've done 37 contracts. Only 2 I think have I not seen out the period. On others I have decided not to renew when the period was up. If it's a 'one off' contract then I don't see the issue. If it's someone you want to keep in with then don't do it.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X