• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving an existing contract for new one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That is all fine but Don't complain when IT projects get outsourced to the Bobs. Nowhere else does a business have such an opportunity to "opt out" of a commitment and move on to a better paid one elsewhere. I understand your motivation but it runs roughshod over what clients want.
    Remind you of that next time a client decides to impose a rate cut half way through someones contract and runs roughshod over what the contractor wants.

Or the client that decides to can all the contractors in the company because some beancounter suddenly decides they cost too much.

Not ideal what the OP is doing but merely pointing out it works both ways.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Your whole attitude which is quite typical of contractors is an adversarial one towards your clients. You seem to think that it is is an equal relationship despite the fact that it is the client that pays the money (forget the agents). In the service world of Asia the attitude is quite different, it is one of subservience to the needs of the client and it is this that is the reason that they have ripped the heart out of the contractor market.
      I am not condemning you for this because to be fair you are a one man freelancer that has to pay the Bills. You are not a Wipro with an agenda to flood your clients with Bobs and screw every penny you can out of them.
      You like many other contractors can probably afford (just) to take this attitude of yours but the facts remain which is that your rates have stagnated and Indian millionaires are aplenty.
      I think your major worry is letting down those who have recommended you - just remember it is a small world.
      DA - Are you talking about letting down the agent who recommended you?

Seriously, if someone bails on a contract and then his person pops up one month later as a perfect 100% fit for another client, you'd hold a grudge and ignore them?

Dont think so....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

In general, I wouldn't consider doing this but everyone has a price/line in the sand.
        I stayed at a bank one time after being offered a job up the road. 3 months later after being assured I was set for more I got a tap on the shoulder at 9:10, yeah sorry and all that but you are gone today. I should have jumped but its easy to know later !
        Following that, I did jump after 2 weeks in one job as another came through near home at 30k/year more and too good to turn down, I didn't even have a laptop so expect the impact was minimal.
        Tread carefully, it's a small contracting world up this way but darn sarf might be different.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Seriously, if someone bails on a contract and then his person pops up one month later as a perfect 100% fit for another client, you'd hold a grudge and ignore them?

Dont think so....
          Happing to me at the moment, agent_1 & agent_2 both got me contract offers.
          Took agent_2 offer.
          Looking for new contract
          agent_1 will not put me forwards for role they have.

Have other agents I can go through, but I think agent_1 will try to make me suffer a bit longer.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Dont think so....
            No I am talking about the contacts that may have helped him get the job. Agents are two a penny and they will not ignore a candidate if they think he is a prime person for a role even if he has annoyed them in the past
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
            X