• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with forced time off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think yourself lucky!
    I WANT next week off, but have been asked if I'd be on call on Mon & Tues (12hrs a day at my usual hourly rate) and work from home Thurs and Fri....
    See, it could be worse
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I'll think about you while I'm in the deckchair, (NO NOT THAT WAY PERVERTS!)
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        Think yourself lucky!
        I WANT next week off, but have been asked if I'd be on call on Mon & Tues (12hrs a day at my usual hourly rate) and work from home Thurs and Fri....
        See, it could be worse
        Use your RoS to get the OP in.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          There are some messed up viewpoints here.

Warchest shouldn't be used for a house deposit? Ummm so do you look at your company bank a/c of £200k and think 'damnit I can't afford to buy a house so have to keep on renting' ? Yes of course a warchest is something you fall back on when you're on the bench (if needed) but if you can invest it or if you need it to buy yourself a house then why shouldn't you?

There's sometimes also a lack of appreciation here for what warchest and funds mean to people at different stages of life. There are a lot of younger, single people here that can easily afford to live a good life on their rate and not have any worries. And then there are the slightly older lot, married and then those with kids, who have to think that extra 2 steps ahead to make sure that they can earn enough for the family, now and in the future.

Don't be worried about the 3 day enforced leave. I work myself to the bone and sometimes I feel like I want time off ... but I wouldn't want to give up the £4k or whatever a week while I can get it (because I know my time is coming when I won't be able to get that any more). A forced 3 day break, equating to a total of 9 days off, sounds great to me right now because I would have no choice but to relax and enjoy it!
          I think you're missing something.

He isn't on the bench, he's whinging because the client has decided to close down for an extra 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            I think you're missing something.

He isn't on the bench, he's whinging because the client has decided to close down for an extra 3 days.

I neither said nor implied that he was on the bench. My 'warchest' paragraph was a generalist hypothetical scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I neither said nor implied that he was on the bench. My 'warchest' paragraph was a generalist hypothetical scenario.
              Ahhh, you're talking bollocks, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Some interesting developments....

I have passed 1st round interview and been invited for 2nd round this Wednesday (when I have been forced off work). The role is down in Brighton but looks like 2 days from home is workable and its back in the Banking sector for around a 35% rate increase...... where is Bolshie - kiss it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

I have passed 1st round interview and been invited for 2nd round this Wednesday (when I have been forced off work). The role is down in Brighton but looks like 2 days from home is workable and its back in the Banking sector for around a 35% rate increase...... where is Bolshie - kiss it.
                  Good luck old boy, an ideal location to man up.
                  one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

So, you're terminating your contract because the client is closing down for a couple of days?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      So, you're terminating your contract because the client is closing down for a couple of days?
                      Notice period my friend.....

Comment

Working...
                      X