• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with forced time off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    If you are a contractor and you could do with the money, you are not earning enough.

I think you need to think about what you need to do to move up the food chain.
    It sounds like you don't have a war chest, which is very dangerous in contracting, as it forces you to take a low rate.

You need to change your focus, it's not about what the client are doing to you, it's about what you can do for a client, and how much they will pay you for it.

HTH
    I have had a pretty good warchest for a while, but just about to buy a house which is going to seriously depleet my reserves.... I am on 3 x what I used to earn as a permie. But I am sure you all know how expensive life gets as you get older.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      WSCS +1 BT did the same to all it's contractors in Global Services shortly before they started binning them off. Enforced 2 weeks leave over the Christmas period, specifically quoting the need to meet financial targets as the reason. Three months after that they started cutting contractors wholesale across the business.
      Exactly what I was thinking. Anyway I have a couple of interviews lined up so hopefully that is a Plan B. I need to get cracking on a long term Plan B though as others were saying.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        I am on 3 x what I used to earn as a permie.
        Just over £18/hour then?
        Last edited by oscarose; 29 May 2012, 13:45. Reason: checked UK minimum wage
        one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Just under £18/hour then?
          Bloody hell, I'm on more than that and I'm a permy!

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            Just over £18/hour then?
            As a permie around that figure......

Comment

I have never been in this situation before where I am forced to take time off (other than being benched) but I suppose I will begrudgingly accept it, mutter under my breath at the PM and whinge about it on an anonymous internet forum
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have had a pretty good warchest for a while, but just about to buy a house which is going to seriously depleet my reserves.... I am on 3 x what I used to earn as a permie. But I am sure you all know how expensive life gets as you get older.
                Warchest != house deposit

HTH
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  Warchest != house deposit

HTH
                  It will be depleeted but not gone.

Comment

It will be depleeted but not gone.
                    Ok but what about the change of focus?
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Which days? They can only enforce Monday and Tuesday, Shirley?
                      No, they can (and should) be able to enfore what ever days they like. Remember you're not a permie. Your a service provider.

Comment

Working...
                      X