• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with forced time off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think 3 days is enough time to fill all the seats with Bobs and then change the locks?
    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Client Co has forced all contractors off next week (3 days no invoicing) and I have been really peed off since I have known (several weeks ago). I went ballistic on Jobswerve and probably applied for about 100 roles. I have a couple of interviews lined up now as well. Am I being a bit over the top or is that the right way to go about it? Add to that the fact this place is mega grim......
      Worra
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Client Co has just asked us to go home for 15 days between now and the end of October. Look at it this way, it's an IR35 get out of jail free card.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          You're doing exactly the right thing, running around shouting your mouth off like a complete pillock.

Might I suggest you take a leaf out of MF's book and chin the project manager?
          No, this is more serious than that. Someone needs to get thrown out of a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            I would disagree with that actually and say it's a fairly strong indicator.

Forcing ALL contractors to take a full week off sounds like a directive being enforced by finance not by need. If it was due to their being no work then the enforced week off would be on a departmental basis.

Of course I could be wrong in this case
            True enough I guess but there are arguments to both sides. There have been grumblings about people not having enough to do during the 3 days when everyone is off here as well and we are certainly not cash strapped. They didn't go as far as asking everyone to stay off though.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Let me provide some more info:

2 permies left in the last week (from a relatively small team). I have a pretty large workload as a result. Permies are leaving at other sites as well - they are struggling to find replacements (should tell you something about the kind of place it is).

Also have a read in the "Grim Places to work" thread for more info.

After all of that they tell us not to come in next week.... I guess I should be happy to get out of here for a week or so but I am gonna lose a fair amount of money which I could do with at the moment.
              If you are a contractor and you could do with the money, you are not earning enough.

I think you need to think about what you need to do to move up the food chain.
              It sounds like you don't have a war chest, which is very dangerous in contracting, as it forces you to take a low rate.

You need to change your focus, it's not about what the client are doing to you, it's about what you can do for a client, and how much they will pay you for it.

HTH
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                I would disagree with that actually and say it's a fairly strong indicator.

Forcing ALL contractors to take a full week off sounds like a directive being enforced by finance not by need. If it was due to their being no work then the enforced week off would be on a departmental basis.

Of course I could be wrong in this case
                WSCS +1 BT did the same to all it's contractors in Global Services shortly before they started binning them off. Enforced 2 weeks leave over the Christmas period, specifically quoting the need to meet financial targets as the reason. Three months after that they started cutting contractors wholesale across the business.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Client Co has forced all contractors off next week (3 days no invoicing) and I have been really peed off since I have known (several weeks ago). I went ballistic on Jobswerve and probably applied for about 100 roles. I have a couple of interviews lined up now as well. Am I being a bit over the top or is that the right way to go about it? Add to that the fact this place is mega grim......
                  Stock up on beer and BBQ food, kick back and enjoy it. I'm sure it doesn't do you any harm IR35 wise around obligation clauses.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Could be a good time to buy shares in the company as they post improved financials for the quarter. Improved for them, not you obviously.
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      WSCS +1 BT did the same to all it's contractors in Global Services shortly before they started binning them off. Enforced 2 weeks leave over the Christmas period, specifically quoting the need to meet financial targets as the reason. Three months after that they started cutting contractors wholesale across the business.
                      I remember that. Enforced leave for contractors and then cut leave for the permies as there was no-one in to provide cover. Classic example of 'management by spreadsheet'.
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X