• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you deal with forced time off?"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I guess this place isn't suitable for a few light-hearted rants.......
    Try the ‘Light Relief’ forum.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Problem is they are all personal to you and you alone and most of them make you look a dork as well. Maybe re-think your rants?... or PM them to Psychocandy.. You two would have a blast.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Incorrect statement. They are not interesting at all.

Will give you 3 weeks in to the job before you start moaning about the location.
    3 weeks? Based on the clues he's given so far and guessing the client (its one of two but only 1 is recruiting) I'd give him 3 hours.

And that's without the getting to and from Brighton bit.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Some interesting developments....

I have passed 1st round interview and been invited for 2nd round this Wednesday (when I have been forced off work). The role is down in Brighton but looks like 2 days from home is workable and its back in the Banking sector for around a 35% rate increase...... where is Bolshie - kiss it.
    What is it with all this 1st, 2nd, nth interviews and being interviewed by more than one person and doing tests and god knows what else? I go along, speak to the bloke running the area I'll be working in and thats it. We're contractors for **** sakes not going in as permies, do you interview your plumber a number of times and ask for examples of his work? Is this maybe just a UK thing, if so, **** me?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

Will give you 3 weeks in to the job before you start moaning about the location.
    Really? I was thinking more like 1-2 weeks....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    You're off with the ******* fairies, you are

And I've told you before, a 35% increase (or is it 85 quid a day again!?) on a low rate still means you're on a low rate

You seem to be a 'rate chaser' but then once you get it, always find something wrong at your client's sites.

Never thought to stop and wonder what the root cause is?
    85 quid aint anywhere near the increase I would be getting (you need to go much higher).....

Aren't we all rate chasers?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Think yourself lucky!
    I WANT next week off, but have been asked if I'd be on call on Mon & Tues (12hrs a day at my usual hourly rate) and work from home Thurs and Fri....
    See, it could be worse
    So you get to bill for a day for just being on call for 12 hours? Tidy....

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

LOL! Again!

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

I have passed 1st round interview and been invited for 2nd round this Wednesday (when I have been forced off work). The role is down in Brighton but looks like 2 days from home is workable and its back in the Banking sector for around a 35% rate increase...... where is Bolshie - kiss it.
    You're off with the ******* fairies, you are

And I've told you before, a 35% increase (or is it 85 quid a day again!?) on a low rate still means you're on a low rate

You seem to be a 'rate chaser' but then once you get it, always find something wrong at your client's sites.

Never thought to stop and wonder what the root cause is?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Must admit I always thought if client could say to you, dont come in for x days and we wont pay you was something they could do and was good for IR35.

If its only a week then no big deal IMHO. If it happened too often then I'd consider other options if there were any.

Last place I worked as permie, they told all contractors they had to stop on 6th december or something until January. And they told them the reason was because little work was done before xmas which was a bit of an insensitive thing to say.

I worked with a few of them who were hard working decent fellas, and this enforced absence caused problems with deliverables etc. and managed to cause bad feeling. All because management saw an opportunity to shave a few quid off the budget.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Last edited by northernladuk; 30 May 2012, 09:27.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    So, you're terminating your contract because the client is closing down for a couple of days?
    Notice period my friend.....

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied

So, you're terminating your contract because the client is closing down for a couple of days?

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied

Good luck old boy, an ideal location to man up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X