• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's it I can't take this ****** weather anymore! How do I get a gig in Ausie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Has anyone come across any articles containing some decent science on the subject?
    The recent BBC doco "Earth's Orbit" had an excellent explanation with whizzy graphics and everything. The jetstream is basically a wriggly line of fast flowing air that whizzes around the planet. The UK is more or less underneath it. When the line dips south of the UK, this allows the colder arctic / siberian weather in. When the line is north of the UK, the warmer weather prevails.

Or you can just blame the government.
    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

10 years in Sydney... Here's some info

Don't emigrate to get happy, if you are miserable in the UK you will end uP miserable here

It rarely gets over 30 degrees in Sydney

Boring people get bored..you can find culture in Australia if you look

Aussies are generally pleasant , the chav underclass is small here

If you are coming here with pounds , you are seeing a terrible exchange rate... Consider the med instead.. You can commute to the uk

Most Brits do not stick it out here. 9/10 go back

I came in my late 20s... I have pals who came here at 40... They have really struggled to settle...it's a young mans game moving country

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        10 years in Sydney... Here's some info

Don't emigrate to get happy, if you are miserable in the UK you will end uP miserable here

It rarely gets over 30 degrees in Sydney

Boring people get bored..you can find culture in Australia if you look

Aussies are generally pleasant , the chav underclass is small here

If you are coming here with pounds , you are seeing a terrible exchange rate... Consider the med instead.. You can commute to the uk

Most Brits do not stick it out here. 9/10 go back

I came in my late 20s... I have pals who came here at 40... They have really struggled to settle...it's a young mans game moving country
        Sorry, but I have to disagree. I lived in Sydney as a young man, and in summer, over 30 was the norm, over 40 the exception. I remember living in Rushcutters Bay in 91 and it hitting 42 in the city, 47 in Paramatta. But over 30 in the summer was expected. In Perth it's even hotter.

I'd agree about the young mans game though.

As for the OP: paying more in tax by working in Spain/Greece/France. Are you insane?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          And where would I find such a contract please?
          We're not gouing to do ALL the work for you

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
          Great advice.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The clue should lie in the fact that we used to send people there as a punishment.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Seriously guys. How many years have we not had a summer for?!? And now the winter has lasted a full 7 months with May, June and July looking like a washout.

Somebody please tell me how to get a gig in Aussie land.
              What are you complaining about? The met office says we have the previous twelve months are the hottest on record due to manmade global warming.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I live in England now and it's much better than -35C winter in Siberia.

HTH
              Wimp! No wonder you could not hack it a real man in Siberia

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Last good summer was 2006.

HTH
              The Met Office says the each year is hotter than the last
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                Sorry, but I have to disagree. I lived in Sydney as a young man, and in summer, over 30 was the norm, over 40 the exception. I remember living in Rushcutters Bay in 91 and it hitting 42 in the city, 47 in Paramatta. But over 30 in the summer was expected. In Perth it's even hotter.

I'd agree about the young mans game though.

As for the OP: paying more in tax by working in Spain/Greece/France. Are you insane?
                You are wrong, 30 is rare these days

Average Weather in Sydney, Australia

Out west where the chavs live it gets hotter but not in any suburb the OP would choose , being a new migrant they'd be central or coastal

Comment

WHS.

Apart from its not chavs, its bogans.

Although I'm not sure about the young mans game.

I could easily settle in NSW - although I'd be looking at Newcastle and commuting into sydney and living there through the week.

For me, the major problem I saw with people who couldn't settle:

1. Whinging pommes - it's true - Aussies are much more laid back and the work effort is the same - only work hard when you have to .. English people get frustrated with the lack of ummpf sometimes (or they did in the two organisations I worked with).

2. Whinging Pommes - it rains a lot in Sydney in Winter - people dont seem to expect this4

3. Failing to integrate , just complaining about all the things that are different to England

4. the TV is crap , with a couple of exceptions like Summer Heights High, The Castle and Australian of the Year -(its mainly American TV, or american style)

I loved it - but NWP2C , you need to work on your own initiative to sort it for yourself - get a working visa sorted first - fly out there and speak to the agents directly (or test the water before you go).

You will have NO problem getting IT work in SQL/BI in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth (or any of the mining companies) - imo there's a shortage of IT peeps in Aus , who wants to be inside on the computer when theres a barby at the beach every day in the summer?

(please forgive the generalisations, I've spent a couple of years out there - and only really lived in NSW , but loved it and would defo emigrate given the chance)
                  Last edited by Scoobos; 16 May 2012, 10:10.

Comment

I'm not sure I could handle the aussies subtly mocking my kiwi accent for long.
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
                      I'm not sure I could handle the aussies subtly mocking my kiwi accent for long.
                      Learn to proonounce your voles then

NZ Rocks by the way - not much work , but a beautiful country.

Comment

Working...
                      X