• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's it I can't take this ****** weather anymore! How do I get a gig in Ausie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Diary

August 31

Just got a new contract in Port Hedland , Western Australia ..
    Now this is a town that knows how to live!
    Beautiful, sunny days and warm, balmy evenings.
    I watched the sunset from a deckchair by our pool yesterday.
    It was beautiful.
    I've finally found my new home.
    I love it here.

September 13
    Really heating up now.
    It got to 31 today.
    No problem though.
    Living in air-conditioned home, driving air-conditioned car.
    What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this.
    I'm turning into a sun-worshipper - no blasted rain like back in Britain!!

September 30
    Had the back yard landscaped with tropical plants today.
    Lots of palms and rocks.
    No more mowing lawns for me!
    Another scorcher today, but I love it here.
    It's Paradise !

October 10
    The temperature hasn't been below 35 all week.
    How do people get used to this kind of heat?
    At least today it's windy though.
    Keeps the flies off a bit.
    Acclimatizing is taking longer than we expected.

October 15
    Fell asleep by the pool yesterday..
    Got third degree burns over 60% of my body.
    Missed three days off work.
    What a dumb thing to do..
    Got to respect the old sun in a climate like this!

October 20
    Didn't notice Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car before I left for work this morning.
    By the time I got back to the car after work, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stuck to the upholstery.
    The car now smells like Whiskers and cat tulip.
    I've learned my lesson though: no more pets in this heat.

October 25
    This wind is a bastard.
    It feels like a giant fliping blow dryer.
    And it's hot as hell!
    The home air conditioner is on the blink and the repair man charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needs to order parts from fliping Perth .....The wife & the kids are complaining.

October 30
    The temperature's up around 40 and the parts still haven't arrived for the fliping air conditioner.
    House is an oven so we've all been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now.
    Bloody $600,000 house and we can't even go inside.
    Why the hell did I ever come here?

November 4
    Finally got the fliping air-conditioner fixed. It cost $1,500 and gets the temperature down to around 25 degrees, but the humidity makes it feel about 35.
    Stupid repairman.
    Fliping thief..

November 8
    If one more smart bastard says 'Hot enough for you today?'
    I'm going to fliping throttle him.
    Fliping heat!
    By the time I get to work, the car radiator is boiling over, my fliping clothes are soaking fliping wet and I smell like baked cat.
    Fliping place is the end of the Earth.

November 9
    Tried to run some errands after work, wore shorts, and sat on the black leather upholstery in my car.
    I thought my fliping arse was on fire.
    I lost 2 layers of flesh, all the hair on the backs of my legs and off my fliping arse.
    Now the car smells like burnt hair, fried arse and baked cat.
    Flip. Flip. Flip.

November 10
    The Weather report might as well be a fliping recording..
    Hot and sunny.
    Hot and sunny, Hot and fliping sunny.
    It never fliping changes!
    It's been too hot to do anything for 2 fliping months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
    Flip!

November 15
    Doesn't it ever rain in this damn fliping place?
    Water restrictions will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms might just dry up and blow into the fliping pool.
    The only things that thrive in this fliping hell-hole are the fliping flies.
    You don't dare open your mouth for fear of swallowing half a dozen of the little bastards!

November 20
    Welcome to HELL!
    It got to 45 flipin' degrees today.
    Now the air conditioner gone in my car.
    The repair man came to fix it and said, 'Hot enough for you today?'
    I wanted to shove the fliping car up his fliping arse.
    Anyway, had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail me out of jail for assaulting the stupid prick.
    Fliping Port Hedland!
    What kind of sick, demented fliping idiot would want to live here!

December 1
    WHAT!!!! The FIRST day of Summer!!!!
    You are fliping kidding me!
    Oz seems a bit extreme from the UK. USA offers far more choice for warmth.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I lived in Aus for a long stint and, imo, the place is just about bearable for an extended vacation. In summer, it is hot, and I don't mean oh my, lets go to the beach, I mean, **** me, please can you check the A/C is working. In most streets, they have awnings over the pavements. This isn't to effect a nice look, it's because if you walk too much in the sun, you can feel it searing you. I don't mean you can feel the sun, I mean you can feel it doing harm to you. Now, I could start about 90% of Aussies living on the coast because they have to, the rest of the country makes Mars look nice. I could start about the wildlife, which, despite most aussie telling you you'll not see, you will. I could talk about the dearth of any culture, of any kind, outside of certain parts of Sydney and Melbourne, I could start about an awful lot of the South East, where I presume you'll want to inhabit, being on fire for a few months a year. I could start about most Australians you meet being as close to Neanderthal as you could imagine (yes, you meet some nice ones in London, and on your travels etc, but wit till you meet the ones who haven't bothered to leave as Australia is the land of milk and honey mate). But I'll not. Instead, I'd suggest you sucked it in.

My wife and I drove the coastline of Australia, in fact, our eldest was 'made' on that trip. It was a trip of a lifetime, 7 months on the road. Before that, I'd made the mistake of working there for 6 months. It's not the place it's made out to be, outside of a couple of cities. You'll soon tire of 35/40 degree heat (summer norms). We never saw a cloud for 5 months on that trip, and when we did, in ALbany, South West Australia, we stopped the campervan, and got outside and smiled, dancing in the rain.

All a personal opinion by the way. But if I wanted some sunshine, and a nice way of life, I'd be heading for Spain, Portugal, Italy, dare I say Greece, but not Australia. Australias great for a trip, when you're young, and not much else.

Comment

Who needs warm, muggy, sweaty conditions when working and travelling, particularly if you are working with ‘ripe’ permies with personal hygiene issues?

Today is ideal, sunny but cool.

HTH

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I lived in Aus for a long stint and, imo, the place is just about bearable for an extended vacation. In summer, it is hot, and I don't mean oh my, lets go to the beach, I mean, **** me, please can you check the A/C is working. In most streets, they have awnings over the pavements. This isn't to effect a nice look, it's because if you walk too much in the sun, you can feel it searing you. I don't mean you can feel the sun, I mean you can feel it doing harm to you. Now, I could start about 90% of Aussies living on the coast because they have to, the rest of the country makes Mars look nice. I could start about the wildlife, which, despite most aussie telling you you'll not see, you will. I could talk about the dearth of any culture, of any kind, outside of certain parts of Sydney and Melbourne, I could start about an awful lot of the South East, where I presume you'll want to inhabit, being on fire for a few months a year. I could start about most Australians you meet being as close to Neanderthal as you could imagine (yes, you meet some nice ones in London, and on your travels etc, but wit till you meet the ones who haven't bothered to leave as Australia is the land of milk and honey mate). But I'll not. Instead, I'd suggest you sucked it in.

My wife and I drove the coastline of Australia, in fact, our eldest was 'made' on that trip. It was a trip of a lifetime, 7 months on the road. Before that, I'd made the mistake of working there for 6 months. It's not the place it's made out to be, outside of a couple of cities. You'll soon tire of 35/40 degree heat (summer norms). We never saw a cloud for 5 months on that trip, and when we did, in ALbany, South West Australia, we stopped the campervan, and got outside and smiled, dancing in the rain.

All a personal opinion by the way. But if I wanted some sunshine, and a nice way of life, I'd be heading for Spain, Portugal, Italy, dare I say Greece, but not Australia. Australias great for a trip, when you're young, and not much else.
          Spain, Portugal or Greece? Where you will be stuck unemployed or paying most of your wages in taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Spain, Portugal or Greece? Where you will be stuck unemployed or paying most of your wages in taxes?
            It's called having a social conscience, you bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              It's called having a social conscience, you bastard!
              What paying most of your wages in taxes? Part is fine but most?

Comment

The last summer we had was in 2003. In fact I havent seen the sun emerge since.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  Work remotely in the UK from somewhere warm.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    The last summer we had was in 2003. In fact I havent seen the sun emerge since.
                    I remember how nice the 90s were during the summer. A full 2-3 months of warm weather with lots of sunshine. Do you remember Euro 96 for example? I was in my teens for most of the 90s and I just remember playing all summer long with water guns, water bombs, buckets of water lobbed at each other..... Ah those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Work remotely in the UK from somewhere warm.
                      And where would I find such a contract please?

Comment

Working...
                      X