• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do customers insist on banging nails in with screwdrivers.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    No. That was SY01 v1.1 rel 1.

I am SY01 v2.0 rel 1.

I have been upgraded with Stand my ground™ and Lay it on the Line™

Thats the spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      Can you think of a way to run a single batch file from one windows box that executes commands across 6 machines without having powershell installed? my wintel guys couldn't...

Thus my rant that had they chosen the proper tool for the job the functionality was a built in not an addon that could get bounced by client security...
      I'm confused. Surely in the Windows sysadmin world, Powershell is an integral part of the server? You might as well say that SSH is a separate program, no?

Out of interest, can you use cygwin and therefore get access to your familiar toolset without as much fuss?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm confused. Surely in the Windows sysadmin world, Powershell is an integral part of the server? You might as well say that SSH is a separate program, no?

Out of interest, can you use cygwin and therefore get access to your familiar toolset without as much fuss?
        Its the clients security team that bans the use of powershell on internet facing servers... Adding cygwin would also not get approval. SSHD is a core component of all unix flavours these days. Even if the client got mega secure and removed as much of the unix OS as possible including the shells they would still need to leave sshd and /bin/sh otherwise the server stops functioning or becomes the most secure server on the planet as no one can log into it... scarey that microsoft still includes a telnet server but no sshd...

Comment

scarey that microsoft still includes a telnet server but no sshd...
          The lack of ssh/sshd on Windows drives many of us nuts. No, Remote Desktop is not what we want.

I haven't enabled a telnet server for years.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I gave up years ago with multiple clientCo's demands that stupidity is the norm. I just let them get on with it now.

Comment

St Mark Russinovich has the solution.

PsExec

Dirty WSH way
              Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide - Running Scripts on Remote Computers

Alternatively write some simple clients that watch the folder and check for a centrally created OK file, all testing of validity done on server. Works fine until they rewrite the clients.

OK its a Kludge but from the sound of the suggestions from the expert permies it will probably be the most reliable part of the design.

Careful though you do sound a bit like a beardy sandal wearer.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Current client is doing my head in...

WHY DON'T THEY LISTEN TO ME????? I'M SO IMPORTANT.

Who in their right mind pays several hundred quid in licences to buy a platform to run something that could be done for free???
                Listen, you're paid to keep the seat warm. Contrary to popular belief(well yours anyway), you don't know it all, you're not a highly paid consultant who's been tasked with rationalising the whole IT system. Do your immediate job and keep it zipped, you'll last longer.

Keep calm and carry on invoicing.

Spod - In "" mode

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Listen, you're paid to keep the seat warm. Contrary to popular belief(well yours anyway), you don't know it all, you're not a highly paid consultant who's been tasked with rationalising the whole IT system. Do your immediate job and keep it zipped, you'll last longer.

Keep calm and carry on invoicing.

Spod - In "" mode
                  Only a permie would say that.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Only an ex-contractor with 25 years experience would say that.
                    ftfy.

Btw, shouldn't you be packing?

No, I didn't think so.

Comment

Working...
                    X