• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dog advice....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There is a forum especially for women and what tricks to teach dogs.
    Fetlife doesn't count!
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      FFS! Dont put that publicly. I am seeing Churchill on Saturday.

Anyone know where I can buy a wheelchair?
      Bridgewater

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        Seems not...! I like the idea of feeling a bit more secure alone in the house, and it will be good for child to understand the responsibility of a pet.

Plus, it will help me pick up men.

can we have a photo

and Shirley there are some successful entrepeneurs here who could tick that box for you ?

Milan.

Comment

Ta all. Ish. Collie's are out because they're v intelligent working dogs - need an awful lot of exercise and stimulation to keep them happy. They can be a bit highly strung around kids.

I've a friend with a Boxer and much as I love him to bits...he's far too mental. I think they all are.

I'm wondering about a retriever, or a giant schnauzer..
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You should have watched Crufts the other day, would have been lots of dog ideas on there.

My wife is dying to get a dog, but just not practical at the moment, obviously you have to think about your working life, time in the house without company, kennels when on hols, time for you and your child, time in general for walks.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

So, I'm wondering whether a slightly older (as in, a year old or so), already trained doggy, might fit the bill. But if so, I've no idea what breed to go for. I want to be a responsible dog owner, but it's difficult to ascertain what sort of dog would work for us. I would like a decent sized dog, and preferably something that won't malt. I don't like labs particularly.
              So - you lot. What dogs do you have?! Is it a bad idea to get a dog that's not a puppy - i.e. an animal that I haven't been involved with from the beginning?
              Nor do most dogs

I would advise speaking to the local animal charity or dogs trust. They will give you good advice on the tempremant of certain breeds, particularly if you are going to leave it couped up in the house for the thickend of 20 hours day/night. You don't really want a Boxer or Weimaraner that have endless energy and are as thick as a brick.

Most of the dogs that don't moult are terriers/poodles which are not the nicest looking dogs. Boston Terriers don't and I think they are pretty cute but not everyones cup of tea. You have a very small pool of dogs to go for if you can't stand moulting. Personally if you pick a dog you take it with it's faults and moulting is one of them I am afraid. If you want a great looking dog with terrific temprament you have gonna have to put up with some downsides.

Personally from what you say I would think about a Pug, Westies, Puggle or possibly Bulldog. All are smallish, not particularly bad at moulting, don't need that much exercise and most are good with people.

If I was in your position I would go round a few dog homes and see if they have one in that fits the bill that has had to be re-homed due to a genuine reason and pick one that you fall in love with and take the rest as part and parcel of having him/her.

Just to point out I had dogs most of my life and they were part of the family. They aren't just a thing that is around for me. It will take a lot of your time and money up and as said you can't keep stuffing it in a home everytime you want to go abroad. That said if you can get the right one and is part of your family they are a fookin amazing addition to your family. If you love your sofa, cream bedroom carpet and adore your best slippers then stay well away!!
              Last edited by northernladuk; 13 March 2012, 13:29.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ta all. Ish. Collie's are out because they're v intelligent working dogs - need an awful lot of exercise and stimulation to keep them happy. They can be a bit highly strung around kids.

I've a friend with a Boxer and much as I love him to bits...he's far too mental. I think they all are.

I'm wondering about a retriever, or a giant schnauzer..
                Who's going to look after the dog while you're at work?

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  And the injections, the wood eating, the carpet chewing and vomiting, the Mk42 bunker buster turd explosions over the kitchen floor, the continual leg humping and crotch sniffing, lice, fleas, foul stench of dog breath every morning, escape and evasion tactics at every moment, did I mention the leg humping?
                  At least we'll have plenty in common.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    You should have watched Crufts the other day, would have been lots of dog ideas on there.

My wife is dying to get a dog, but just not practical at the moment, obviously you have to think about your working life, time in the house without company, kennels when on hols, time for you and your child, time in general for walks.
                    I went to Crufts aye, on Friday.

That's my biggest concern really; it doesn't seem fair.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Nor do most dogs

I would advise speaking to the local animal charity or dogs trust. They will give you good advice on the tempremant of certain breeds, particularly if you are going to leave it couped up in the house for the thickend of 20 hours day/night. You don't really want a Boxer or Weimaraner that have endless energy and are as thick as a brick.

Most of the dogs that don't moult are terriers/poodles which are not the nicest looking dogs. Boston Terriers don't and I think they are pretty cute but not everyones cup of tea. You have a very small pool of dogs to go for if you can't stand moulting. Personally if you pick a dog you take it with it's faults and moulting is one of them I am afraid. If you want a great looking dog with terrific temprament you have gonna have to put up with some downsides.

Personally from what you say I would think about a Pug, Westies, Puggle or possibly Bulldog. All are smallish, not particularly bad at moulting, don't need that much exercise and most are good with people.

If I was in your position I would go round a few dog homes and see if they have one in that fits the bill that has had to be re-homed due to a genuine reason and pick one that you fall in love with and take the rest as part and parcel of having him/her.
                      Ta chuck. Those small dogs chap my @ss to be honest, but I guess you're right about accepting it might moult etc.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X