• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bristol bus driver 'used vehicle as weapon'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    That image doesn't show up on the Daily Mail page I cited earlier. Where'd you find it?
    Cyclist Phillip Mead forgives road rage bus driver Gavin Hill who mowed him down | Mail Online
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Question for wim

If someone parks in a bus lane and a bus driver decides to mow them down as they walk back to their car, would you be glad to see a scum sucking motorist get what they deserve?

How about if a pedestrian steps out in front of a cyclist at a crossing when he ought to be waiting on the pavement? Would you be glad to get a scum sucking pedestrian get what they deserve?

How about if a baby cries in the quiet carriage on the train and some lout decides to stove it's head in with his fist? Would you be glad to see a scum sucking helpless infant get what it deserves?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Actually the trigger was the cyclist getting upset that the bus got too close going round Stokes Croft roundabout a quarter of a mile back up the road, which isn't the easiest roundabout in the world for anyone. Doesn't excuse the end result in any way though.

I've got a scratch on the sdie of my car, courtesy of one of Bristol's law abiding cyclists. Coming out the station, waiting to turn left. As the lights go green this clown comes down my outside right-turn-only lane and turns left in front of me. Crash stop, cyclist's life saved. Mutter mutter, drive on and he decides the lane he's in is wrong or not mioving fast enough or something and again cuts in front of me. Another crash stop (that's two more than I've done the last ten years, incidetnally) and this time a blast on the horn. Next second, as I stop at the back of the next queue (this is Bristol, there's plenty to choose from) he's banging on the passenger window, screaming I was trying to kill him. Poitless arguing, just drove off and left the little prick in the middle of the road.

Worth noting this prat had an expensive bike, no lights and no plastic hat although he did have the llittle boy's lycra playsuit. The day they licence these idiots can't come too soon; at least I could get the respray paid for.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
          So how would you react if i hurled a torrent of abuse at you and then snapped your windscreen wiper off? Honestly?
          I would not have tried to run down a cyclist in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I would not have tried to run down a cyclist in the first place.
            He didn't he knocked him over. If he was going run him down he would have gone straight over him which is easy to do considering the size of the bus.

What many cyclists don't seem to realise that generally the larger the vehicle the more restrictive the view. So if you don't position yourself so you can be seen expect large vehicles not to see you.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              He didn't he knocked him over. If he was going run him down he would have gone straight over him which is easy to do considering the size of the bus.

What many cyclists don't seem to realise that generally the larger the vehicle the more restrictive the view. So if you don't position yourself so you can be seen expect large vehicles not to see you.
              I believe no-one sees me. And I have been proved right on several occasions. Once in Lweisham I was cycling over a roundabout. 10am. Bright sky. I am 6 feet tall - high viz jacket. Mercedes comes from left. JUst pulls out trying to run me down. Emergency stop and I pulled up inches away and screamed "c**t". It was an old woman. Next time it will be a small child and she will kill them.

Comment

I believe no-one sees me. And I have been proved right on several occasions. Once in Lweisham I was cycling over a roundabout. 10am. Bright sky. I am 6 feet tall - high viz jacket. Mercedes comes from left. JUst pulls out trying to run me down. Emergency stop and I pulled up inches away and screamed "c**t". It was an old woman. Next time it will be a small child and she will kill them.
                Old people are a menace on the road regardless.

I now don't cross the side roads in my area without having a good look to check the cars are going straight as I've nearly been run over by some old gits who don't know the highway code.

Oddly enough younger drivers including White Van drivers seem to be aware that you don't try and run pedestrians over when they have started to cross the road.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
                  That'l teach the f ucker to think he can cycle like a tw@t and go around trying to rip windscreen wipers off. I bet they are a right pain in the ar$se in London and Cambridge.
                  Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  I didnt see the bit that said he was almost killed in the earlier incident. If his reaction is to goad the idiot that almost killed him then he is a bigger dick than I first thought.
                  +1

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Er, I don't think so.
                  Hahaha, so you dont even believe the victim or people at the scene?

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  The cyclist was asking for it. Just like those young girls in the short skirts & school ties!!!! Asking for it I tell you! ASKING FOR IT!
                  Yes he was asking for it and your further comment is a bit outside of this thread and I realise you're being sarcastic, but in some cases that is correct.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  If you were hurling abuse at me because I had completely not seen you and nearly killed you, I would probably be a little contrite. If it was because you had attempted to sneak through on the inside at a corner I may point out that the highway code and common sense suggests not riding down the inside of buses when they are turning for your own safety. If you attempted to vandalise my company vehicle I might call the police, or I might drive off and then call the police, depending on the level of threat to my personal safety.
                  Really? You would be that calm?

I suspect you're in the minority here. I might do the same as I dont like confrontations or violence, but I would be tempted to chin someone carrying on like that with me. I really would have to fight that urge. Not many others have my level of control though, not that I have observed.

Most British people I have found, tend to relish confrontations and enjoy a good wind up. I think you will get very few people backing down from abuse and criminal damage.

Old people are a menace on the road regardless.

I now don't cross the side roads in my area without having a good look to check the cars are going straight as I've nearly been run over by some old gits who don't know the highway code.
                  +1

I am all in favour for mandatory re-testing every 10-15 years. Many people, including police forget the highway code. Also testing standards increase in difficulties decade on decade. Anyone who hasnt taken their tests in 15 or more years is a danger and not up to current standards.

Oddly enough younger drivers including White Van drivers seem to be aware that you don't try and run pedestrians over when they have started to cross the road.
                  I might disagree on white van drivers but I agree on the point about young drivers.

In the past, when I have broken down for instance, it is always a younger driver that has stopped. Older drivers smile and sometimes gesture as they drive past.

One time, my car ran out of fuel on a roundabout (had a dodgy fuel gauge). Even my stereotypes came in to question as a boy racer car stopped and I thought "oh god here we go", to be greeted by a group of nice lads who offered to help anyway possible and jumped out and pushed me off the road, then insisted they drove me to a petrol station and back again as well. Never met a nicer bunch of motorists before, they were lovely.

Anyway back to the point, I often find younger drivers more courteous in general.

Also why argue with a vehicle bigger than you. For example if I was in a mini resembling mr. beans car, it would be foolhardy for me to goad a tank!

What result do cyclists expect by taking on HGV's/PCV's ?

If someone parks in a bus lane and a bus driver decides to mow them down as they walk back to their car, would you be glad to see a scum sucking motorist get what they deserve?
                  That is a bit extreme and not the same instance of what happened in this cyclist story. However in that scenario, a motorist blocking a bus lane (just like the cyclist trying to hold up the bus) that then proceeded to hurl abuse at the bus and backed up to the bus as if he was going to ram it, but not quite (then that would be the same scenario), then it would come to no surprise to hear of the bus driver beating the crap out of the motorist and I would have no sympathy for that motorist.

How about if a pedestrian steps out in front of a cyclist at a crossing when he ought to be waiting on the pavement? Would you be glad to get a scum sucking pedestrian get what they deserve?
                  Yes I would. I dislike cyclists more than pedestrians, but some pedestrians deserve to be killed.

A road user can only anticipate and observe for so many hazards, however some pedestrians step out without looking and then some deliberately play chicken with road users for kicks.

Dead pedestrians are dead because of their own stupidity (unless some crazy person drives on the pavement screaming "death to peds" or rams red lights on crossings). Pedestrians have their own legal obligations under the highway code, dumbed down to the green cross code. They must ensure they use common sense. A pedestrian arguing with a vehicle, will always lose.

IHow about if a baby cries in the quiet carriage on the train and some lout decides to stove it's head in with his fist? Would you be glad to see a scum sucking helpless infant get what it deserves?
                  That is a completely different kettle of fish. The infant cannot be held to the same account as a child for their actions because they have not learnt the interactions of their social obligations yet, so that is a ridiculous proposition. A child cannot be held to the same degree as an adult, but after the age of 5 or so and definitely by 10, should be aware of what is right or wrong.

However, if you have to enjoy hours of kids running around and babies crying in a restaurant because the parents cant be arsed doing their job, then I commend anyone telling the parents that they need to control their family.

I remember in a restaurant years back, a couple just sat back and let their kids run amok like usual. I wasnt the only one getting annoyed. I complained to the waitress politely and asked if she could ask the parents to be more considerate. This went on for quite a while, till someone else on the other side of the restaurant loudly said "excuse me, some of us are trying to eat here! Control yourselves", which was met with muffled laughter and agreeance, and in my case, applause.

Comment

I am starting to understand why wim121 is the 4th lowest in reputation level of all the posters on the board. Pretty impressive considering the stiff competition out there.

Comment

I am starting to understand why wim121 is the 4th lowest in reputation level of all the posters on the board. Pretty impressive considering the stiff competition out there.
                      Is there a ranking board somewhere?

Anyway, the reason why I rank so lowly, is if someone asks for my opinion, I'll give it and I dont just follow the crowd to be a loved little lamb that wont get slaughtered.

Call it what you like, but the dictionary defines it as integrity

Comment

Working...
                      X